Chapter 1: The Best Years

A/N: Feel free to skip this if you hate author's notes! I just wanted to say thank you for choosing to read this fic! Harry Potter has always been one of my favorite series to write and read fanfics for. I began researching/writing the plotline for this series back in April and it's my longest fic to date. It's also the only fanfic I've ever solely written and posted. I found inspiration in many of my friends for it and I'd like to give a special thanks to a certain special friend who helped me work out the final kinks. I jampacked it full of troupes, stereotypical filler events, etc. so have fun tearing those to shreds! I enjoyed writing it, and I hope you all enjoy this work for what it is. I'll do my best to update regularly, but I make no promises. Anyway, thank you again! :)

Word Count: 1,650

Chapter 1: The Best Years

It was an afternoon in late August, and the air was beginning to stir with the winds of change as one of the most important times of the year approached: the yearly reopening of Hogwarts. Students from all over the United Kingdom and Ireland flocked to the streets of Diagon Alley to prepare for the start of the new term. The pavements were crowded with families bustling about to get their supplies for the new year. Many excited young faces pressed against windows of the shops, peering in at the newest models of Broomsticks at Broomstix, or admiring the candy delicately framed in the windows at Sugarplum's Sweets Shop, and even pondering over their choice of pets at the Magical Menagerie. The excitement and loud chatter of the people filled the air, but this did not dissuade Leon or I from our own endeavors.

"Sachie! Hurry up! We've got to get our supplies," my twin brother called me as he grabbed my hand and pulled me along past the many shops.

"Where are we going first, Lee?" I asked, trying my best to be heard over the clamor of the crowd. The noise was quite stifling, but I liked the atmosphere of Diagon Alley.

"Flourish and Blotts, we should get our books first before the line to get inside gets too long. After that Madam Malkin's for robes." We arrived in front of the bookstore. "Have you got the money?" I nodded, pulling out the wallet from my bag. Our parents had left us with plenty of money to get what we needed. They were currently away on a work trip, so our older brother had taken us to go shopping for our school supplies. While he was talking to his friends, Leon and I slipped away to go purchase our things. I knew he wouldn't be happy about it, but I tended to go along with most things Leon did, mainly to make sure he didn't get himself killed.

We went inside and quickly gathered what we needed, paid for our books, and left the parchment scented shop. Following Leon, we made our way to the other shops and gathered the remaining supplies we needed.

After running about the alley for an hour, we found a quiet place between two shops and took a well needed rest. I pulled out the snacks we'd packed as we sat down to eat. "We still need to get wands," I said through munching on a Pumpkin Pasty.

"We'll make it to Ollivander's before it closes for the day, don't worry," Leon replied nonchalantly, his dark blonde hair, the same as mine, falling in his brown eyes. "What I'm more concerned with is how long you'll take to decide on a pet."

"I can't help it, all of them are just so cute!" I exclaimed in defense, wiping crumbs off my face with my sweater sleeve. Leon handed me his empty food container and I stuffed them back into my bag.

"You think toads are cute?" He said, giving a look of disgust.

"Better looking than you."

"Hey!" He punched my shoulder. "Let's get going." He led the way to Ollivander's, a small run down looking shop that had looked like it had been there before the alley was even built. We walked through the ragged looking door and were met with a musty smell. It smelled even more ancient on the inside. The shop was cluttered with hundreds of thousands of thin, rectangular boxes that lined the shelves, covered in several layers of dust. After we entered and the shop door closed, we waited for Mr. Ollivander. "Hello?" Leon called out. I began taking a look around the shop.