Chapter 23: Betrayal of Brotherly Bonds

Word Count: 2,000

Chapter 23: Betrayal of Brotherly Bonds

"Jason?!" I gasped. "No... it can't be. Tell me you're not... Tell me you didn't..." I could hardly speak or breathe. I didn't like this. He was in his Gryffindor robes, his prefect badge displayed on the front. He pursed his lips, frowning deeply before replying.

"Well, this is a fine mess. I had really hoped you'd all have been gone by now, but I should've guessed otherwise when the other prefects mentioned students missing," he spoke grimly.

"Why did you take the staff?! Why are you after the pendant?!" I questioned sharply. I could feel my blood start to boil. I didn't like this feeling in my gut. How could it be Jason?! "Did you really... kill someone?"

"I had wanted to keep you out of this, Sachie. I really did. But when opportunity presents itself, you must be brave enough to take it."

"What are you talking about?"

"You figured out already I needed the staff to make it here, so you should already understand. Simply a means to an end."

"You didn't answer her other question. Why do you need the pendant?" asked Elliot.

"You already know what the Pendant of Perception is capable of, right? It's the only way that we can free this world of ugliness. With it I can realize my ideals, make the world a better place for wizards," he had started to ramble on, not explaining what ideals he spoke of, only telling us of the end result.

"What do you mean 'better place'?" Now Val was interrogating.

"Where society is right now is repulsive. There is a disease in the world. They destroy all that is beautiful about the world. Hideous creatures with one track minds to destroy and maim and inflict pain," he shook with a growing rage as he spoke. "Their existence is a plague that needs to be eradicated. Only then can we be free."

"Jason, what are you talking about?"

"Muggles, Sachie! Muggles! They oppress us, they take away our freedom through their selfishness!" It all finally clicked in my head. I had always known he'd never liked them, not after an incident when we were children, but I had truly no idea how obsessive and fanatical his hatred had truly made him. I'd never seen this side of him before, but I suppose he'd never have wanted me to. I was blindsided. How couldn't I have seen it coming? "We've been forced into hiding out of fear of what they would do to us if they found out we existed! It's not fair, we're stronger, smarter, more powerful. They should be the ones living in fear. We should be at the top! The only way for that to happen is if they don't exist at all." I shook my head, I didn't want him to continue his prejudiced rant. Instead I needed answers to something else.

"You said you didn't want me involved, but you were the one who slipped the ring into my pocket!" I accused him. Tears pricked the corners of my eyes. "How do you justify that? Using your own sister as your scapegoat?!"

"The night you dueled Leon, when I walked you back I decided that would be how I got rid of the ring. I figured once I had gotten ahold of the pendant, I could make everyone forget about accusing you, about the objects even being missing," he looked away, seemingly troubled by what he'd done. "I never wanted to put you through that, I love you too much Sachie. But I was running out of time and as I said before, you have to seize opportunities when they come."

"You nearly got me expelled!"

"But you weren't! And look, it all worked out; you all led me right to the pendant, and now you and everyone else will forget this ever happened," and with a quick motion, he swiped the pendant. Before he could use it, Genesis used a spell.