Chapter 11: The Conspiracy

Word Count: 1,763

Chapter 11: The Conspiracy

"I did it! I passed my history test!" I cheered, showing off my paper to my friends.

"Congratulations! I knew you could do it!" Elliot exclaimed. Sable and Rubina high fived me, while Val merely clapped.

"I've gotta go thank Albert, I'll catch up with you all at dinner!" I said, turning to run down the corridor.

"Alright, see you then!" Sable called after me. I ran through the halls, slipping betweens groups of students making their ways to and from classes until I reached the library. He said he'd be tutoring other students throughout the week, so he should be here somewhere. After scanning the library, I finally found him tutoring a second year tucked away in a corner of the library closest to the books on herbology.

"Hey Albert! Sorry to barge in on your session like this, but I just wanted to show you this!" I held up my paper proudly. "Thanks to you I passed my exam!" He smiled cheerfully.

"That's wonderful, Sachie! I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you so much, I couldn't have done it without your help."

"Hey it's what I'm here for. I'll see you tomorrow night for our next session, so don't forget your book and quill."

"Of course! See you then!" I turned and skipped happily out of the library, not paying attention to where I was going until I bumped into someone and fell flat on my butt.

"Sorry! I didn't see you there!" a familiar voice said, helping me up. I looked up to see Ozzie's freckled face, frazzled hair, and oversized glasses. He helped me up, though clumsily as his robes' sleeves got in the way.

"Ozzie! Long time no see. How have you been?" I asked. He'd joined Elliot and I for meals a couple of times since our first encounter.

"Not bad, been in the Hospital Wing a couple times since we last saw each other. I think Herbology has it out for me." I giggled at that last bit.

"Any new theories, or are you still hung up about the werewolf one?" I joked.

"I'm determined to prove to you it's correct," he said confidently. "Plus I've got some new evidence."

"Evidence?"

"Yeah, I was in the Hospital Wing for a few days this past week after the incident with the Spiky Bush, and while I was staying overnight I heard howling coming from the grounds."

"You mean the forbidden forest? We already know there are werewolves in there-"

"No no. It echoed, it came from within the castle. And even before that, one night I was returning to the Hufflepuff common rooms after treatment rather late, like around eleven or so, and I saw something else suspicious. I heard some noises so I followed where they came from and it led me to Professor Wolfram's office. I saw a student leave there, and on her way back she took backways through the castle so as not to run into anybody," he finished, his tone full of suspension.

"While I don't know what to say about that first one, I will admit that the last one is rather odd. Students aren't supposed to be out of bed that late, but maybe she had detention? Do you know who she was?" I asked.

"I'm not sure of her name, but she's from Slytherin. She's the girl with the brown ponytail and soulless eyes."

"Soulless eyes?"

"Yeah, she's the one whose voice never goes beyond monotone and her presence is just daunting to be around. You might know her."

"Genesis!" I blurted out.