Chapter 5: Classes Pt. 1

Word Count: 2,353

Chapter 5: Classes Pt. 1

After finally calming down, it was time to head to class. The girls escorted me out of the bathroom, and we immediately ran into Elliot and Val who were waiting outside, Elliot was pacing and Val was leaning against the wall.

"You okay? Val and I saw what happened back there," Elliot asked, his concern showing in his expression and voice.

"I'll be fine, of course I'm still upset, but I'm calm enough to go to class. Sorry for making you guys worry."

"If you need anything Sachie, we're here," Elliot said. The others nodded and exchanged words of agreement.

"Thanks guys, I really appreciate it," I gave a small smile.

"Not to bluntly change the subject, but who's the Ravenclaw?" Val indicated the red haired girl.

"I'm Rubina Sapphira, but people just call me Ruby. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay," Ruby stated softly. I released hers and Sable's hands which I had been so tightly grasping.

"We should really be getting to class. I think we have Charms first," I said. The group agreed and we left the bathrooms. We passed many corridors before finally making it to the Charms classroom. The room was large so as to accommodate all the first years and there were many individual wooden desks with quills at the ready spread out throughout the room. Several students were already sitting inside waiting for class to start, but most littered the halls, loitering. My friends and I made our way to some empty seats in the front left corner of the classroom. A few minutes after we'd sat down, the students finally filed into the classroom as well and found a seat. Most of the students seemed to be sitting within their own respective houses, excluding my group along with a few others. Suddenly, a man who looked to be in his late twenties or early thirties briskly walked in. He had jagged dark blonde hair with a small goatee to match and amber eyes. He swiftly walked to the front of the classroom and waited until the students quieted before speaking to us.

"Hello! My name is Professor Knox and I'll be your charms teacher for the duration of your time at Hogwarts," He said, giving a reassuring smile before continuing. "Now then, I expect all of you to pay attention in my class as this is one of the most important types of magic you'll learn. Charm work is basically the underlying root for most types of magic. Now if you please, pull out The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1. If you were unable to purchase a copy, feel free to borrow one from the cabinet in the back," Professor Knox pointed at a large, worn wooden cabinet in the very back. I heard a couple of students get up and head over to where he had indicated. I refused to turn around and see how many students, however, as I didn't want to see my brother, who surely would be somewhere behind me. Afterward, he went back to explaining charms and telling us what the first year curriculum would entail.

Suddenly, I felt my stomach grumble painfully. I had expelled all of my breakfast this morning, and my appetite was finally returning, so I pulled out a licorice wand and began eating it.

"Are you seriously eating right now?" I heard Val whisper, his voice filled with disgust.

"Shut up, I'm hungry," I grumbled.

"Didn't you have breakfast not too long ago?" Elliot asks.

"Yeah, but I threw up everything in the bathroom. My appetite finally returned and it's killing me." Val just shakes his head at this as I finish my snack. I finally snap back to paying attention as Professor Knox instructs us on what page we'll be starting off on. He begins explaining the first spell we'd be learning, a simple levitation spell.