Chapter 16: The Duel

Word Count: 1,772

Chapter 16: The Duel

"So, Ruby... Dittany is used mainly for medicinal purposes, right?" Sable looked up from her notes, her dark eyes focused intensely on her work. It was now the last day of May and my friends and I had gathered in the library for a group study session. Albert had been busy, as he received many requests from other students for tutoring help, so I decided to set up my own study sessions to compensate. Rubina was the main one running the last study session, the subject being Herbology, which was her second favorite class after flying.

"Correct, it can heal doxy bites as well as stop a person from bleeding to death after being bitten by a werewolf," said Rubina, looking over Sable's shoulder as she scribbled more notes.

"It can be used to make the Wiggenweld Potion," I added as she frantically wrote this all down.

"I think that's all for Herbology, is there anything else I missed or that we should cover?"

"I don't believe so," Elliot answered, closing his book and gathering his notes.

"It's getting pretty late and I feel well prepared, we should retire to our dorms," said Val, following Elliot's lead and gathering his things.

"Alright, well if I don't see you all tomorrow, good luck on Monday!" I said to my friends as I packed up and went on ahead. I was meeting up with Potions Club tomorrow for a second review for students who were struggling which is why I wouldn't be attending their final review.

The next week came and went with exams every single day. I didn't do too terribly, and I'm pretty sure I got the highest score in the class on my Potions quiz. Finally, it was June 6th, and we'd just finished our final exam.

"Well exams went better than expected!" I said. I'm glad we got an easy subject in the History of Magic section, I don't think I at least got an 'Acceptable' for it," I commented to Val as we were walking out of the History of Magic classroom.

"I expect not to get anything less than the highest grade," he replied haughtily.

"Even in Charms?" I joked, he had a bit of difficulty with the practical application of that class. He elbowed me. "Kidding! Kidding," I laughed. We sat down on a bench in the courtyard to rest for a moment, when suddenly I felt something softly hit the back of my head. I looked behind me, but didn't see anyone there. I looked down at the ground and spotted what hit me, it was a piece of paper scrunched up into a ball. I picked it up and unraveled the paper to see a note written. In handwriting I recognized, it read:

Since you like being an insufferable show-off who thinks they're better than everyone else, I think it's time someone put you in your place. I challenge you to a duel. Meet me at the Astronomy Tower tonight at eleven to settle our score. Pick your second and be there, or else.

I knew right away who sent the letter based on the handwriting. It was Leon. This is it, what all our fights and back and forth pranks have been leading up to. An actual duel. Val looked over my shoulder, reading the note as well.

"Is that from who I think it is?"

"Yep."

"Are you going?"

"It would be nice to finally end things, maybe if I beat him he'll leave me alone," I said wishfully, though the last part was more like unrealistic daydreaming.

"Well, if you're going, I can be your second if you'd like," he suggested. I was about to protest, as it would be risky, when he continued. "At the very least I can escort you up there. I know how you don't like leaving your room at night. Don't think I haven't noticed how when it gets dark outside you're the first to retreat to the dorms." I thought for a moment before sighing.