Chapter 12: Mystery Girl and the Wolf

Word Count: 1,902

Chapter 12: Mystery Girl and the Wolf

September and October passed, and I was doing well in my classes. Potions had become my area of expertise and even Professor Wolfram acknowledged my talent. He'd often let me study for other classes or let me help others with their potions as long as I completed my work for his class. Everything was going smoothly. That is if you don't count my scuffles with Leon and his friends. Over time, they'd begun to take great pleasure in bullying my friends and I for their own amusement. I felt it justified when Mathias, Lucian, and I would jinx them or when we'd sneak Glow Bugs into their clothes. Today was a Thursday and it also happened to be Halloween, so I was thrilled. I knew it would be a great day, not just because we'd be getting a feast with all sorts of goodies and treats, but because right before it I'd be spending time with Albert. Our tutoring sessions were going swimmingly and I looked forward to them every week. Though, admittedly, I have a hard time containing my excitement around him. His sweet smiling freckled face that would praise me for my accomplishments, those burning green eyes that made me feel like I was on fire, and his sparkling personality that just exudes geniality; everything about him just seemed perfect. We were about to end today's tutoring session covering the Werewolf Code of Conduct when he asked me something out of the blue.

"Hey Sachie, your brother mentioned you're good with potions, is that true?"

"Yeah, potions is my favorite subject!" I was giddy with excitement, wondering where this new line of questioning would be going.

"Have you considered joining Potions Club? It's mostly for students who use the time to catch up on potions assignments or learn about how to brew them, but they could definitely use some tutors on hand. One of the girls who helps oversee things asked me to join, but I don't have the time to fit it in my schedule. I was hoping to recommend you."

"Me? But surely I'm not fit to be a tutor, I'm only a first year afterall. Are you sure you don't know anyone more qualified than I? Someone who's more of an expert potioneer?" I felt flushed.

"Of the peers I've tutored, you're one of the brightest students I know. And I trust Jason, if he says you're good, then I've no doubt that you're truly gifted," he said. I blushed profusely at his compliments. "So... would you consider?"

"Sure! I'll give it a try," I replied almost immediately. He smiled and I felt my heart flutter a little.

"Great! I'll let Sasha know you'll be there. They usually meet on Saturdays after lunch in the greenhouses."

"Sounds good! I'll do my best."

"I have no doubt you'll do great. Now, it's almost time for the Halloween feast. Want me to walk you to the Great Hall?" he asked. I nearly fell out of my chair, scrambling to get up.

"I'd love to!" We made small talk as we exited the library and headed to the Great Hall. We talked about school subjects, hobbies, and the like. I was almost disappointed when we made it to the hall. I bid him goodbye and went and sat between Lucian and Mathias and across from Val. Not many others sat close by as they all were daunted or annoyed by the boys' pompous natures. I was used to it by now and I even found it rather amusing to mess with, especially Lucy. He could be stingy and was more pretentious than even Val. Mathias and I had some good laughs over our little pranks on him.

Finally, the feast began. Before our very eyes appeared the most delicious looking sweets and treats. Colorful candies and pastries lined the four house tables: chocolates, caramels, gummies, lollipops, licorice, cakes, cookies, pies, and so much more could be found. My mouth watered at the sight. Above us, the ambiance was set with candle lit jack-o-lanterns, different funny and scary faces carved into each, as well as hanging bat decorations. The hall was decorated with other Halloween scares, it was ominously beautiful. Outside, the dark sky was illuminated by a looming full moon. The four of us laughed and joked and ate more candy and cakes than our stomachs could hold. I developed a second stomach for sweets that night. The ghosts performed for us, dancing in the dimly lit hall and singly ghostly songs. It was a perfect night.