Chapter 14: An Inextinguishable Flame

TW: angst, panic attack

-Quick note- It's going to get extremely non canon from here so don't try to compare this to the manga or the anime. This entire York New Arc is extreeemely non canon and has been altered to fit this fic! :)

"Are you both really going to go without us?" Phinks asks, his left hand tugging at a loose thread beneath his collar. 

"They have to. Those were the orders given to us by the chain user." Franklin replies on behalf of Pakunoda.

You nod in agreement. Kortopi quietly tugs at the bottom of your shirt and waves.

Aw, Topi. 

"At least let Nobunaga and Fei run through the shadows. It feels... wrong to let you both go unaccompanied." He plucks the thread off. 

"We can't take any chances right now. Please understand Phinks."  You plead.

"Phinks, they'll be fine." Nobunaga pats the top of his shoulder. "You have to trust them."

"(Y/N)!!!" Feitan screams running up the damp street. 

You put your finger to your lip. "Shh! Too loud, Fei."

He jumps in front of you and bares his teeth. "Don't go alone. I will follow on roofs. Don't go alone."

"Fei, I appreciate the sentiment, I really do, but Paku and I have to go alone. We can't afford to make a mistake." You reply, gently patting the top of his head.

"NO!"

"Feitan, listen to me." You furrow your brows. "You cannot follow us. If the chain user finds out he will kill Chrollo. We will be fine. You know my power and you know my strength, so have some faith in me, okay?"

"I don't want you to get hurt." He grumbles, swatting your hand away like a fly. "Like Uvo." He grumbles quietly.

You bring your arms around his shoulders and pull him in for a long hug. "I know, I know. I don't want you to get hurt either." You whisper back.

I love you all so much.

"We'll be right back, okay? It's just a small little trade so we can have Chrollo be with us again."

"I've never seen Fei this emotional before." Shalnark chuckles before getting punched in the stomach by the short angry man.

"Come on kiddos, let's get going." Pakunoda says while helping the two boys up. 

--------

Silence drapes the air like thick velvet. As the two children walk side by side, you look up into the clear night sky and make an inner deal with the faded stars. 

Let everyone live. I offer my life in place of theirs. 

The light of the moon catches your eye, as the stars begin to confer with one another. The result is unknown, only those of the celestial realm may know. 

"(Y/N)." Paku smiles, tearing your pleading gaze from the heavens above.

"Hmm?"

"What are you thinking about?"

"All too much and nothing at all."

"I wouldn't expect less."

The small spiky-haired boy turns his head around and frowns. "What does that even mean?"

"Quiet, Gon. We're almost there. Just keep walking and ignore those two." The silver-haired boy scowls.

"Oh! So your name is Gon?" You ask.