Chapter 15: The Cycle

TW: Angst, violence and some childhood trauma. This chapter is a little heavy.

"Woah, you better lie back down." Machi gently pushes your head back onto the silk white pillow.

"What? Where am I?"

"You, my dear, collapsed in the middle of our meeting and have been asleep for 2 days now. I don't know what kind of injuries you sustained but your heartbeat was dangerously low."

You rub your eyes with the back of your index finger. "Shouldn't I try to get up then?"

"I'd prefer you lay down until you're completely healed."

"I'm not bleeding or anything, am I?"

She shakes her head.

"Then why can't I get up?"

"I don't want you to faint again."

You roll your eyes in contempt and push yourself back up into a sitting position. "See, I'm fine!"

Machi shakes her head and hands you a small stack of papers. "I knew I wouldn't be able to stop you, so here. Let's get down to business then."

You skim the top of the first page and sigh. "We really have to go here?"

"Is that a problem?"

You shrug. "It could be. This is my old hometown, you know?"

"Didn't know that." She looks up with concern. "Is this going to be a problem for you?"

"I don't think so. Even if it is, I have to lead the troupe. Chrollo-" Your voice trails off momentarily. You shake your head and start again. "I promised Chrollo I would keep everyone together."

"Well is there anything you would like me or Shizu to know? I don't want you to go back to your hometown and face a bunch of enemies or bad memories and suddenly faint and kill everyone around you."

"I... I-"

"Let me go, please!"

"No, you're a cursed user. If we let you go now then you will cause mass destruction. We need to exorcise you, and if that doesn't work we have to kill you. Your powers are far too dangerous for this world." A woman with long red hair replies. The plump brown snake wrapped around her body turns its head towards the prisoner and reveals its fangs. 

"Please! I don't know what's going on, please!" Tiny small flames begin to circle the slender neck of the child being held captive. "Let me go! I promise I'll never come back!"

"Shut her up already." The woman instructs the two men besides her.

The shorter of the two men waves the palm of his hand over the girl's pleading mouth and her body convulses in pain. A searing white light seals the opening of her mouth silencing her distressed cries. 

"This one is extremely dangerous. One of the worst we've ever dealt with. If the curse is not lifted then we must put an end to her life, is that understood?" The woman announces.

A circle of 13 men and women donned in long white robes and various reptilian creatures clinging to their waists, nod their heads in agreement while they encircle the bounded girl. 

"On my count."

"1."

The men and women move in closer. 

"2."

A flash or red engulfs the girl.

"3."