In The Mood (12)

Veronika and bucky had been in Rome Italy for about a week now. They were staying at an old motel still running. It was open plan with two single beds and a small couch, with a dusty mirror above it.

Present day Veronika POV
Bucky and I were at a farmers market that we hadn't been to during the week. I recognised everything, maybe I had been here before. Who knows.

We got a few things from the market and were getting to the end of the street, a statue, or some sort of tourist attraction caught my eye. I walked over to it.

It was a massive ceramic block with thousands of names on it. In the middle there was something written in bold lettering

In memory of those we
Lost on this street.
1950

I kept on reading names. I began recognising some with the same images of people I've seen in nightmares flashing with each name I read. It was me. I killed them all. Thousands of people. One bomb. It was all me.

Bucky POV
I looked over to veronika, she was holding her arms, which I've noticed she only does when she's uneasy.
I look around and walk over to her.
"You alright" I asked.
She didn't say anything, her eyes were glossed with tears but she wouldn't let them fall. She was about to awnser me, she was struggling, stuttering, her voice breaking.

I held her arms apart and pulled her into me pinning her to my chest. I looked at the memorial beside me and put two and two together. "It's okay, let's just go home" I said reassuring her that it's not her fault. Because it wasn't.

She still hadn't let any tears fall, she still hadn't become weak but yet it was the most emotional I've ever seen her and all she had was a blank face.

Another week later
It was morning time. Veronika was still asleep on the ground with a raggy blanket pulled half way up her torso.

I walked over to her, my head hovering down on her, I would look around the apartment and think about how shit it was but it was a lot better with her. We're both alone but not lonely. She was a peaceful person, I couldn't imagine that all she's ever known was violence.... Because she seems like the sort of person who would do anything to stop fights, to stop arguing. Maybe it's because she's sick of it by now, but when we were fighting in Ireland she was a whole other person, still had no mercy, still used to fighting. I wish I could see her thoughts.

Veronika POV

I was around fifteen fourteen years old.
Walking through stone cold brick walls with a tall scary man beside me.
He put a hand on my shoulder "Young Veronika, we are family, what you do here is not bad. It creates peace for other people in this world, you understand that, right" the man said I slightly smiled up at him "Yes, sir" I said.......

I fluttered my eyes open a dark tall shadow was above me.
I flipped my body up kicking the leg of the person above me, only to see it was bucky "Jesus christ, sorry" I said looking at him laying on the ground "your good"
"We need to get more food we're running out" bucky said struggling to get up.
"We can later on this evening" I continued... "When it's darker."

Bucky and veronika spent the next couple of ours playing cards and watching pirated movies online.

Mid day...

3rd person POV.
"Remember when we were in that car and you played that music" bucky asked her. "Yea and it was a tragic disappointment" she joked. "I can show you what good music is.... 40s music." bucky said getting up off the couch they were sitting on.
He walked over to the laptop that lay open on the table, veronika had messed with it somehow, it's supposedly untraceable now.
Bucky started to very slowly hit different keys on the computer. "1939..... Glenn miller" bucky said looking back at veronika. "Come on, get up doll" he said. "Doll?" she repeated confused. "Well I gotta get into the mood for dancing" bucky told her. "Dancing?" she said even more confused. "Thats not really my thing" Veronika said.
Bucky turned around and grabbed her two hands "Just dance with me, come on.... It won't be so bad" he almost whined.
Veronika got up and bucky put there hands in right position to start. Veronika was looking down at her feet and bucky was looking at is own. They both brought there heads up to face Eachother at the same time, both starstruck at how close there faces were.
"You know, back when this song came out, I would take almost every girl in Brooklyn out dancing" Bucky smirked. "Oh your from Brooklyn..." veronika said. "Yeah I've been getting back a lot more memories, have you" he asked. "Just from when I was a child, some man keeps showing up. He seems alright...... I haven't got any memories from before any of that hydra stuff" veronika said.
There was an awkward tention between them.
"A-anyways, you better show me how Brooklyn girls dance then" veronika said.
Bucky clicked on the computer and in the mood by Glenn miller started to play.
Bucky knew exactly how to dance to this upbeat song but Veronika didn't.

He pulled her out and then back in where she stumbled into his chest "sorry" she said embarrassed.

"it's okay, just go with the flow"

"okay"

Bucky let go of one of her hands

"now a twirl"

"I remember doing ballet when I was young"

Bucky pulled her back in for a hug type thing but he was swaying to the music.

"Let's just stay like this, your all over the place and I can't do ballet"

Veronika began to giggle, her head pressed to buckys chest and there hands tied together. "What am I a bad dancer.... I mean its been a while" bucky joked. "No no.... It just... Just that was unusually nice." She said.
She looked up at bucky smiling at him,
Bucky had never seen her smile before. He had never seen how white and straight her teeth were and how the skin folded on either side of her smile forming dimples. Bucky placed  one hand on her waist and the other under her chin. "You've got a beautiful smile" he said in a soft whisper. "Thank you" veronika said looking up at him, lost in is bright blue eyes.
Bucky brought her up closer to him so she was on her tippy toes and there faces were centimetres apart.
He caressed her cheek with his right hand pulling her in for a soft, gentle but passionate kiss.
It felt euphoric, it felt like it went on for hours but it was only a couple of seconds. They both released from the kiss staring into each others eyes.
Veronika realised in that moment what love felt like and that the man from her dreams he didn't love her. Bucky realised who he was going to spend the rest of his life with. He had loved people before but not as much as this time. It was an entirely knew feeling for the both of them.