thirtyeight, romeo and juliet

ROMEO AND JULIET

it was 11:26 pm. riley had just gotten home to try and look somewhat decent. she basically ripped open her closet and started looking at her clothes.

after a few minutes it hit her that he really didn't care what riley would be wearing. it's not like he'd fall in love with her based on her clothing.

why had she been overthinking this much? she didn't do it when they were going out the year before. she didn't do it with liam. why start now?

she stripped out of the clothes she was wearing and put on her "grandpa" pyjama's. she used to always wear them whenever she was with timothée.

she knew she didn't have to care about what clothes to wear to make an impression on him, because they were already past that stage. the only thing she had to do was tell him how she felt, because that was all she could really do.

11:42 pm. riley stood outside of timothée's apartment, waiting for the courage to go inside and tell her what she'd been meaning to tell him.

"riley?" she hear from upstairs and saw timothée looking down at her from his window on the first floor. it was like romeo and juliet really, except juliet was wearing grandpa pyjama's.

"hi."

"hi."

"i have to tell you something."

"do you wanna come in?"

"no, i wanna say it here, makes me feel like the main character."

"dramatic as always."

"i'm just gonna tell you. here goes."

everything lead up to this moment. riley was just waiting to see if she had the courage to actually say the words out loud.

"okay, so. i- i really love-"

"you can tell me anything riley, just say it."

"i, uh, really love your shoes. okay bye now."

riley awkwardly waved and took a step back until she hear timothée speak up again.

"i know you didn't just come here to compliment my shoes, you dumbass."

"okay fine you win. i love you. there, i said it. i love you. i love you a whole lot. i've been such an idiot this entire time. when you got together with sophie i wanted to rip my heart out, but you already did that for me i guess."

timothée was smiling to himself as the girl he once knew as his girlfriend declared her love for him, yet again.

"oh, god. this is so dumb. why am i telling you this. you know what, no, fuck that. you're gonna have to accept the fact that i'm just a little dumb. and i like to be dramatic. and if you can't accept me in my pyjama's then that's your loss. well actually no, that's my loss too, because i love you. and i really love your shoes too. i hope i'm not scaring you away. i took three shots of tequila before this to gain a little courage."

riley always went on these rants when she had too many emotions pouring out.

"all i'm asking is if you feel the same way, and if you don't, please just close the window, say nothing and walk away so it hurts less."

riley waited for his answer. she hoped he'd come through and tell her the same.

just as she had feared, timothée reached for the handle with his hand and closed the window. a little part of riley died inside as he walked away from the window. she said to him it would hurt less if he walked away, but the truth was that it only hurt more.

"fuck." riley rested her face on her palms as her eyes started tearing up. she turned her back against the apartment and stood still for a moment.

a part of her hoped for him to sprint downstairs and confess his love for her, but that was probably only in the movies.

a few minutes had passed and riley had given up the hope of timothée coming back for her.

"don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry." she whispered out loud and tried to pull herself together until she heard a noise behind her.

"i really love your shoes too."

riley turned around and saw timothée standing at his doorstep, facing her, with the same grandpa pyjama's that she had been wearing.

"you came back." a tear rolled down riley's cheek as she looked at him.

"of course i did, it's you riley, it's always been you."

"and you kept the pyjama's." riley sniffled and pointed out the same pair as hers.

"my most priced possession." timothée had started tearing up as well.

"i love you riley. i really do. and i don't wanna mess it up again. i wanna spend everyday for as long as i can with you. i know that's a tough promise to make, but i mean it."

"i believe you. because i do too. you know, if i could i'd just stay with you here forever."

"then why don't you. stay with me."

"wait, i have to tell you something before i do that."

she walked up to him until she stood face to face with him.

"what do you wanna tell me."

"well..."

she leaned towards him until their lips met. it was a sweet, lingering kiss that had been waiting to happen for months. her hand ran over the side of his face as his cupped her cheeks. finally they pulled away for a second.

"you can't get rid of me, bitch." riley smirked and gave him a tight hug.