eighteen, girlfriend

GIRLFRIEND

riley was so nervous that she could literally hear her heart pounding in her chest. she impatiently tapped her foot on the wooden floor as she bit her nails.

it was a bad habit, really. every time something slightly nerve wrecking happened, riley bit her nails. she used to do it whenever she'd have an exam or when she had an interview.

this time she did it because she was confessing her love for her best friend, liam, whom she'd already kissed the day before. easy right?

just tell him 'i like you'. it can't be that bad. and if he doesn't feel the same way, i'll just move on. it can't be that bad. i don't have to make it awkward. it can't be that bad, right?

riley kept telling herself the same thing over and over again, to reassure herself that everything was gonna be fine. however, that failed, so she'll just have to deal with all the major anxiety flowing through her body.

"okay, okay, i can do it." she mumbled inaudibly and slowest made her way to the stairs. she opened the door to the staircase, only to see liam do the same.

she was startled by the sight of liam, standing in front of her, looking into her eyes.

it was only a matter of time before their lips connected. just like the day before. but this time it was different. it felt more safe. it felt better.

just as liam was about to run his hands through her hair, riley took a step back. liam shot a confused look at her.

"what's wrong?" liam asked, looking at riley, who was currently staring at the floor. she turned her head back up, now facing liam again.

"what are we?" riley asked, looking upwards because of their noticeable height difference. "oh my god, that was so cheesy. that definitely sounded way better in my head." she laughed, earning a smile back from liam.

"is that you saying you wanna be something?" liam's smile turned into a small smirk.

"well, i mean, i-i guess," she stuttered not knowing what to say. he got her all flustered and shy, "unless you don't want to. oh my god this is stupid, i'm sorry. i shouldn't have said that. oh god i ruined everythi-" she ranted, but was cut of my liam.

"riley maguire," he smirked as if he was about to execute an evil plan, "will you be my girlfriend?" his hands reached for hers, waiting for an answer.

riley looked at him, surprised by the sudden choice of words. her nervous look turned into what seemed to be the biggest smile she's ever had on.

"yes. yes, of course!"