Veintiseis

"welcome back Miss. Martinez, can't say that I didn't miss having a student with common sense." I smiled and walked to my seat next to Imani.

"Yo teach, there's a big dude in the hallways just standing there." He was waved off and sighed.

The big dude was my boyfriend who refused to leave me alone for today. All of my teachers saw him following me around and I don't know if they really don't care, know who he is, or are too scared to say something.

Doesn't matter to me, I like having him here.

Class was boring but it was a lot less boring than having to sit at home. Yea Oscar helped..but I want stimulation...for my brain.

The bell rang and we walked out of class. We were immediately greeted with the parting sea of teenagers surrounding Oscar.

"How was class."

"Just like the others." He scooped my books and bookbag out of my arms and walked beside me.

"Y'all are like a movie couple or something." I smiled at Imani and leaned into Oscars arm.

"Hey Baby B." The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

"Hi." I turned around to be greeted by Giana and her groupies.

"..Oscar, what are you going here" she completely forgot I existed as her eyes went for Oscar.

He didn't respond making her smile.

"What do you want Giana." She sighed and blinked towards Oscar.

"I want..." She smiled mischievously "him."

"No." I smiled sarcastically and turned to walk away.

"No seriously, Bianca. Lemme talk to you for a minute." I sighed and turned back around.

"What is it?"

"I heard your boyfriend got put in the hospital." My heart stopped beating for a moment. "Heard spooky, put him there because he caught y'all fuckin'?"

"Yo Gi." The girl behind her tugged at her arm, signalling her that she went too far.

"No, I wanna know what really happened. I ain't never seen Spooky pussy whipped like this before." She smiled like she caught me.

"You gone tell us baby B-" I watched as Imani's fist flew into her cheek. You could hear something crack like someone stepped on something. Giana fell to the ground, unconscious and Imani shook her fist.

"I'm really fuckin tired of people talking." She walked off, her shoulders slamming into the two scared girls who followed Giana around.

"Take her to the hospital or something." I told them before following after Imani.

I felt Oscar following silently behind me.

I stepped outside and Imani was nowhere to be seen.

"She's going to get in trouble for this." Oscar nodded.

"A lot of fucking trouble."

...

I didn't see Imani the rest of the day and I didn't go to my last class either. We spent the rest of the day looking for her. We stayed out until almost 2 am when I could barely see because of how tired I was.

Oscars head rested on my stomach, his arms laid across my body. He slept quietly, his breathing slow and consistent.

I stared up at the ceiling as I thought about Imani. I know she's hurting. I know I wasn't the only one hurt by what happened but I didn't know it was that bad.

She really must've been fed up for her to hit her that hard, hard enough to break her jaw. One of her groupies, Carla, told me later that she almost killed her.

"Go to sleep Bianca."

"I thought you were asleep"

"I was." He grunted and held me tighter.

"You're really never asleep huh?" He smiled slightly and grunted what sounded like a no.

"Stop worrying about her. Imani is ok. She's not always ok mentally but she's not in danger."

"I know but it still doesn't feel right to be sleeping, safely in this bed with you while she's out there probably alone with her thoughts." He sighed and sat up.

"She needs to think. She's a thinker. Shes not always the smartest but she's not an idiot. She just needs to think about it. She'll be back B." He looks down at me and I sigh.

I lay in his lap and tuck my hair behind his ear.

"She's ok right?"

"She's ok."

"She's ok."

...

I woke up to quiet tapping. It sounded like it was coming from my window. I shook Oscar and he shifted closer into me.

"Wake up. Someone is tapping on the window." He sat up and pulled his pants on.

I slid out of bed and did the same.

I watched him lift back the curtain and stand still. "Oh shit, go open the door." I didn't question him and I just went to open the front door.

I waited.

A bloody and disheveled Imani stumbled around the corner, a smile on her face.

"Hey Hermosa." She fell forward and I caught her.

"Oh my god." I looked behind me at Oscar.

I picked her up so that she was leaning on my shoulder. Her blood stained my shirt and covered my arms. She smelled like dirt and sweat. Her curls were soaked in sweat and blood.

I pulled her over to the couch and laid her down gently. I looked over at Oscar who was talking quietly in the corner.

I went into the bathroom and grabbed a wash cloth and dry towel. I then grabbed a bowl from the kitchen and filled it with water and a tiny bit of soap.

"I'll be back." Oscar placed his hand on my back and kissed my forehead.

"Where are you going." I followed behind him as he walked towards the door. "Oscar."

He continued to ignore me, walking outside.

"Oscar." I stepped outside and watched him walk to his car and get in.

I watched in disbelief as he skidded off down the road, completely ignoring me.

I sighed and looked behind me at the passed out Imani. She looked so helpless.

I walked back inside and closed the door.

I began cleaning her up, gently, being cautious of her wounds and there were a lot.

"What'd you do Mani?"