Veintisiete

This was the fifth time I changed the dark and bloody water and she still wasn't clean. When she wakes up I'll help her get in the tub but for right now this is the best I can do.

I stripped her of her ripped and soggy clothes and pulled Oscars shirt over her head. I put my basketball shorts on her and pulled her hair up and out of her face.

I pulled her up and into my body, trying to adjust her so that I could carry her.

I was stronger than I looked.

I lifted her up and carried her slowly into Oscars room and laid her down. I pulled her covers over her and watched her continue to sleep deeply.

I sighed and walked back into the living room, grabbing my phone and texting Oscar again. He hasn't answered and he hasn't come back. It's only been maybe an hour or two but he didn't tell me where he was going.

I feel it in my gut that he knows something about Imani. He knows something about Eric.

My thoughts were interrupted by light taps at the door. They sounded like my mother's. Sweet but sturdy.

"Come in mamá." She peeked her head in, a smile on her face and a bag in her hand.

"I brought you tacos. I know you love them and I brought you your favorite strawberry milk." She placed the bag on the counter and slowly started unpacking the bag. "I know this combination makes your stomach hurt because if the milk and the sour cream--anyways, I brought you some medicine to help with that. Your abuela used to give me this and it would help. Don't tell your pedia-"

"Thank you mommy." I smiled at her and she relaxed.

"You're welcome. Where is that Spooky Oscar. I have his favorite pozole." I sighed.

"He's not here...he will be back soon." I put on a smile and my mamá nodded.

"Oh mijá." She put her hands on my face and I looked at her. "What's troubling you my love?"

I wanted to cry. She knew everything about me, she always knew.

"I feel guilty mamá." She tilted her head at me.

"For what?"

"I feel guilty for what happened. I believed him and I hurt a lot of people. I lost my baby and I hurt Oscar." My eyes teared up so much I couldn't see my mother anymore.

Her hands tightened around my face "you never feel guilty for that Bianca. None of it was your fault. I felt guilty for years for what happened to your brother and I still do sometimes. I know a lot of people were hurt by what happened but you have to carry the biggest burden. Don't carry everybody else's too. You can help them put theirs down but you never throw it over your own shoulder and walk with it instead."

I nodded and her Stern words. She smelled like cinnamon and... cigars?

"Mamá?" She hummed. "You smell like a cigar." She gasped and then smiled.

"You almost made me forget." She walked towards the door and opened it.

"¡Sorpresa!" I smiled wide at my dad and Luis standing in the doorway with their arms out.

I ran into my papá and wrapped my arms around his strong shoulders. He was warm and smelled like mint and cigars.

"Oh babygirl, I missed you so much." He brushed over my hair and held my tightly.

"I want a hug too!" I smiled down at Luis and leaned over to hug him tightly.

"I missed you guys so much."

I sighed and stood up straight, wiping the tears from my eyes. "When'd you guys get here?"

"Just about an hour ago. Would've seen you sooner if your mother would've stuck to the plan." Papá side eyed my mother and she shoo'd him off.

"My Bianca needed a pep talk, nobody cares about your plan."

"We came up with that plan together."

"Yea ok." My mamá pressed her lips together and continued to unpack the bag, pulling out a lot more food than I thought.

"Come in, come in." I stepped aside for them to come in and they sat down on the couch.

"So where's Oscar, haven't seen him in so long. I bet he's tall now."

"He's your height." He nodded in approval.

"Who's Oscar?" I looked down at Luis.

"He was Bruisers friend." Luis nodded and leaned into my dad.

"His best friend." I turned around to see Oscar standing behind me.

"Hey." I said softly.

"I'm sorry I left like that. I had something to do." He put his hand on my cheek and brushed his thumb across.

"It's ok," I smiled up at him and wrapped my arms around his middle."I'm glad you're ok." She kissed the top of my head and I turned back around.

"You're lucky I let you continue." He smiled at Oscar before getting up. Their hands collided with smiles on their faces.

"How are you Oscar." My dad smiled at Oscar and he nodded in response.

"I'm good, thanks for.." he looked over at me before looking back at my dad. "Ya know." Their faces were serious and they nodded at each other.

"Hey little man." Oscar smiled at Luis. "I ain't seen you in a minute." Luis smiled at him and gave him a fist bump.

"Hi Spooky." He said softly.

"You can call me Oscar, little man." He nodded shyly and ran over to my mom.

"What's all the noise for." Imani walked slowly into the living room.

"Who's this Bianca?" My dad looked at me and I walked over to Bianca.

"This is Imani. She was just taking a nap." She leaned on me and I held her up.

"Hey..?"

"Mr. Martinez." He shook Imani's hand.

"You wanna eat Imani?" My mom asked as she held up a plate for her.

"Of course. I'm absolutely starving." She smiled weakly at my mom and I sat her down on the couch. "Sorry I'm not more welcoming..I'm recovering."

My dad looked over at me then back at Imani. "Well I hope you feel better. Oscar let me talk to you for a minute."

My papá put his hand on Oscars shoulder and guided him outside.

Something is definitely going on.