Chapter Thirty Three: Te Alor'ad

The ship was quiet and weary as Echo recalibrated the systems. The group was still catching their breaths from the unpleasant fire fight, and tried their best to rest easy knowing that the mission was over and they were finally on their way back to Cid.

Cass was beside Tech once more, gently running her fingers through his hair as he tiredly laid his head in her lap. She was happy to soothe him and keep him still in one spot finally, but she spend the whole ride to Ord Mantell tense.

Tech's exhaustion had taken over too quickly and he didn't allow the time—nor did he care—to throw on a new pair of blacks before easing into Cass' lap. Her neck was aching from keeping her eyes averted from his still bare chest—but luckily, Tech didn't seem to notice through his soft snores.

Tech tossed a bit and pulled her free hand towards his chest, clutching her fingers in his and holding them against his steady heartbeat. The thumping between his ribcage and warmth of his skin made her suck in a breath.

Hunter spun his knife absentmindedly between his fingers, leaning back in the passenger seat across from her. He noticed the hiss that escaped from her lips and heard how her own heartbeat sped up. He chuckled silently and perked a brow at her, ready to bombard her with teasing words at any moment.

She tilted her head and squinted as if to warn him away from his antics. He smirked and raised his hands defeatedly, letting her know he wouldn't start anything—but her reaction didn't go unnoticed.

Maybe if Tech wasn't resting peacefully, Hunter might have riled Cass up to his liking, but the sergeant remembered—she needed rest too, after all. She saved his brother and little sister, and protected them when he couldn't.

She nodded gratefully and leaned her head back in an attempt to relax a little. But as her eyes shut and she felt her body grow heavy, the ship whirred and exited hyperspace to reveal the glossy blue sheen of Ord Mantell.

Cass groaned and lolled her head. "The ride over here was way too short," she whined and tucked a half-dried frizzy curl behind her ear.

"I know, I'm sorry," Echo shook his head from the pilot's chair. "We can all rest a bit after picking up this score."

"Thank the force," Cass sighed and gently scratched the underside of Tech's chin to ease him awake. "I feel like I got ran over by an AAT."

"Runnin' with us is a bit different, huh?" Hunter chuckled quietly. "Not like those Jedi cruisers?"

"I'll say," Cass blew out a breath. "I don't know how you boys do it. You sleep...what...every three rotations?"

"Sounds about right," Wrecker nodded. "And I don't know if Tech ever sleeps. This is the longest I've ever seen him out, ha," he laughed and gestured to the drowsy clone in her lap.

"Well, we did give him some medication for the pain," Echo pointed out. "Although being in his girlfriend's lap probably hasn't hurt either-"

"Echo!" Cass scrunched her brows and bit back a childish grin.

"I'm just sayin'," Echo laughed and steered the Marauder into Ord Mantell's atmosphere.

Cass shook her head as her cheeks grew hot. Tech continued to stir in her lap as she tickled the skin of his jawline.

He squeezed his eyes shut and wiggled away from her fingertips, then let go of her other hand to protectively rest his palm against the wound on his abdomen.

"Tech," Cass whispered and cradled the back of his head. "We're heading back to Cid's right now."

He hummed irritably and pursed his lips. He rolled carefully onto his side and tucked his face into the soft of her belly.