Chapter Thirty Seven: Forehead Kisses & Food Crates

"Does it hurt at all?" Rex asked as Cass applied the bandage on Echo's head.

"Eh, a little," he laughed breathily, "but it's worth it."

While Rex patted Echo's left shoulder, Cass smiled and leaned her head on his right one. Her eyes lazily drifted towards Tech, who was restarting the program on the machinery.

"Hunter, you're next," Tech called out from the console.

"The sooner the better," Hunter shrugged and hopped onto the table.

"You're gonna need to...you know..." Cass winced as she stood up and gestured to his head.

Hunter squinted as she approached.

"...Remove your bandana," she grimaced. "We need to shave your head-"

"-You what?" he sneered.

"Not everything!" she shook her head feverishly. "Just, you know...the part we're...gonna cut open."

Hunter groaned and grasped at his bandana. He peeled it from his head and tucked it into his armor band, then ran his hands through his hair to separate the strands from his scalp.

Cass went to the supply cabinet, then came back with an electric trimmer and a cowering stance.

"Be careful with those, Cass, the Wookiee doesn't like it when you touch his hair," Echo snickered.

Hunter rolled his eyes and turned his back to his brothers. Cass stood between his legs and lifted a chunk of hair from his right side.

"I'll take off as little as possible, okay?" Cass muttered just between them. "And your bandana will probably cover it up anyways."

Hunter sighed gruffly, but understood she was only trying to help.

"Just...do what you have to," Hunter grunted. "I'll manage."

Cass nodded cautiously and the buzzing of the trimmers hummed lowly in Hunter's ear. The feeling of the short blades running across his scalp made his skin crawl, so he closed his eyes and focused on his breathing.

When Cass was finished, she eased Hunter onto his back and patted his shoulder consolingly.

"Cassiopeia, come here and follow along," Tech ordered and turned the machine on.

Cass hurried to his side and watched Tech's every move with intensity and focus. He walked her though the steps of injecting the anesthesia, and making an incision in the bone.

He showed her that most of his programming would keep the arm smooth, but it was his job to input every movement. When the chip was removed and discarded, he typed away and input the closing procedure. The bone was reattached and the incision was closed.

"Easy enough," Tech commented, then grabbed a small bandage from his pouch and placed in over Hunter's stitches. "I don't know why people use the phrase 'it's not brain surgery' to describe a simple task."

Cass snorted and knit her brows together. "Because it's literal brain surgery?"

"But brain surgery is not as complex as everyone thinks," Tech shrugged and glanced up at her. "Perhaps the phrase should instead be: 'it's not like explaining transatomic physics to a nyork'."

Cass poked her tongue against her cheek. "Ah, yes. Much better," she deadpanned.

Tech grinned triumphantly, then directed Wrecker to move Hunter carefully to the bunk. Being next in line, he removed his goggles and steadied himself on the table.