The past always comes back to bite

He was walking to meet Steve at his house.

He took a shortcut down an ally way, it was quicker and easier.

As Bucky walked past, he heard someone screaming and others laughing.

He ran over to see what was happening. The answer flooded over to his feet. Red surrounded his feet and his eyes followed up to the source of the blood. Then he saw him.

His boyfriend. His love.

He ran over but the guys who done it were already gone.

He knelt down and took his hat off and held it to his chest. He didn't know what to feel. He was so angry that those stupid people had done this. They killed an innocent man, a man who had never done anything to them because of who he loved.

But at the same time, he felt the greatest loss he had felt ever in his whole life. The one person he ever loved, was gone forever.

After the anger subsided, he couldn't control the tears pouring down his face. He held his body up to him and hugged his dead body tight.

He wanted to scream out, as loud as he could but he couldn't draw any attention to himself.

He did the sensible thing, and told the police. The police didn't seem to really care that much. I mean why would they, he was a gay man that was killed because of that very reason.

Bucky walked slowly through the rain, to Steve's house. The whole way, he cried. He couldn't explain the way he felt. This wasn't anything like heartbreak, that he could mend his heart. But this, he knew this hole would never truly mend.

Bucky started to realise that the men might be after him too. He got so worried and ran back to Steve's house.

He stood out, in the rain. Crying and full of fear.

Steve opened the door, and opened his eyes wide, at the sight of Bucky. He ushered him in and got him blankets to warm him up.

Bucky was silent. He didn't know what to say. He couldn't tell Steve that he had a boyfriend but he wouldn't explain why he cared so much. He tried his best to lie. He didn't like keeping the truth from anyone, but he said that his boyfriend was the only secret he'd keep from Steve, but it was starting to grow.

"Buddy what happened?

"Um-uh. I uh found this guy in the street that got beat up because he was... gay."

Steve stared at him and didn't say anything. Bucky didn't know how he would respond.

"Hey Buck, I'm sorry you had to see that."

Bucky looked at him confused. That's all he had to say. He didn't show any remorse for the man. Yeah, he may not know him but he didn't deserve to die.

Bucky didn't say anything, in fear of breaking and revealing everything.

Bucky was silent for the rest of the night.

He tried to sleep, but couldn't so he decided to take a walk.

It was really dark and still raining.

He heard something but put it to his sadness and tiredness.

He heard it again and looked behind him.

Nothing.

He continued walking but then he saw two men jump in front of him. His soul left his body.