Chapter 19

Meredith takes Josie back to her house, just now realizing that she's going to have to find a way to explain this to her roommates. She opens the door with Josie clinging to the leg of her pants.

"It's okay, go on in." Meredith says sweetly. They go in together, finding Izzie sitting on the couch in her underwear eating a bowl of cereal while watching one of Ellis Grey's old surgery videos on the TV. Her long blonde hair tied up in a messy bun.

"Whoa is that a bwain?" Josie asks as she stares at the television in surprise. Her little voice snatches Izzie's attention. Izzie grabs the remote and turns it off.

"Oh god...sorry. I didn't realize we were expecting...company." she pulls a blanket into her lap, covering herself. Looking from Josie to Meredith and back. George walks into the room, completely unaware the two of them had arrived. He pauses, stopping in his tracks when he sees them.

"Uh, what's doctor Shepherd's daughter doing here?" He asks. Josie shy's back to Meredith's side.

"Josie's gonna be hanging out with us today. Derek got called in and needed a babysitter last minute. I volunteered." They both stare at her like she had just spoken in another language. She hadn't even told them that she was having breakfast with him.

"I have so many questions." Izzie tells her. "First of all who are you and what have you done with Meredith Grey." Meredith laughs. She's never been the warmest person. It's easier to be guarded than to eventually get hurt, but she has a soft spot for this little girl. She empathizes with her.

"Oh come on, it'll be fun. Right Joes?" Josie nods happily in response. "But first I need to go change. Do you mind hanging out down her with these guys for a minute." She shakes her head no, stepping away from Meredith allowing her to head up stairs. Izzie chases after her to grill her about how in the world she ended up with their bosses kid. Which leaves Josie and George alone in the living room. Josie stares at him for a moment, before he finally speaks.

"So uh..Do you like cartoons?" George asks her, completely unsure of how to handle himself around kids.

"Mhm."

"Cool, me too." He takes the tape of the surgery out of the VCR and puts on a rerun of Tom and Jerry. He sits on the couch, inviting her to come sit too. Josie declines his offer standing in place. She watches from afar shyly at first. She starts slowly inching closer as her interest in the show begins to over power her shyness. Eventually she climbs up onto the couch, sitting beside him. George smirks to himself, proud that she finally joined him. They watch the television together, both of them laughing as the mouse flattens the cats face with a frying pan. Meredith and Izzie smile at the sight of them as they come back down the stairs in more appropriate clothing. George may as well be a giant child sometimes. His sweet gentle soul allows him to bond with Josie rather quickly even despite their rocky first meeting.

"So I had an idea." Meredith tells Josie, practically bubbling with excitement as she does.

"What is it?" Josie asks, immediately intrigued.

"What would you think about going to the park? There's a place I know that has an outdoor carousel." Josie's face lights up.

"We can go there? For sewious!?" She asks beyond happily. Meredith nods.

"We sure can, if you want to." Josie nods enthusiastically.

"I would wuv to! Are Izzie and George comin too?"

"If they want to." Josie looks to them with pleading eyes.

"You want to?" She asks them. "Pwease?"

"Alright, why not." George agrees with a shrug.