Chapter 55

Josie and Meredith are sitting on chairs at the island in Meredith's kitchen watching Izzie  dump a frozen turkey into the sink. She bustles around the room getting recipe's and books out in preparation for cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

"That's a turkey?" Josie asks, disgusted by the sight of the body in the sink. Meredith nods.

"Yep, that's what it looks like before it's cooked."

"Why's it naked?" The little girl asks, cringing.

"You can't eat it with the feathers still on it silly." Izzie answers.

"Gross." Josie mumbles under her breath. Derek walks into the room fully dressed, his brief case held in his left hand. He approaches the girls, kissing both Meredith and Josie on the side of their heads. "You're leaving?" Jojo asks him, very clearly disappointed.

"I won't be long. I just have a few patients that I need to check on. I'll be back before you know it." He tells her. She nods, but doesn't say anything. She looks to Meredith.

"Are you leaving too Mama?" Josie asks.

"No baby, I'm not going anywhere. You're stuck with me." Meredith replies. Josie smiles happily, reaching across the gap in between their chairs to hug her mama. Derek grabs a granola bar from a cabinet, takes a sip of Meredith's coffee, and starts to head toward the door.

"Love you, I'll see you soon." He calls back to them.

"Love you." Josie shouts back. She sighs deeply as the front door closes behind him. Meredith reaches over and  rubs her back comfortingly.

"He won't be long." She reassures the child.

"It's Thanksgiving. We're supposed to be a family today." She whispers sadly.

"I know sweet girl, I'm sorry."

"We're going to have so much fun you aren't even gonna notice that he's not here." Izzie comments, trying to cheer her up. Josie smiles a little. "And we won't be alone. Everyone is supposed to be in the kitchen by 9am to help me make dinner." The doorbell rings, catching everyone's attention.

"I'll get it." Meredith announces as she gets to her feet.

"I wanna come! Maybe it's some of our friends." Josie says excitedly as she carefully climbs down from the tall chair. Meredith and Josie make their way over to the door. Meredith opens the door with a strange look on her face. Josie is standing a few steps behind her. An older man and two middle aged men stand on the front step.

"Who's that Mama?" Josie asks, visibly confused.

"Is this where Georgie lives?" The older man asks before Meredith can even respond to Josie. She has no idea who these people are.

"Georgie?" Meredith questions, not used to hearing anyone but Josie call him that.

"My Georgie?" Josie butts in. "He lives here."

"And you are...?" Meredith asks.

"His father of course, these are his brothers Ronny and Jerry." They wave a little as they push theit way inside the house. "Where is he? Upstairs?" Meredith and Josie back up to avoid their stampede.

"Uh, yeah. He's upstairs."

"O'Malley!" The three men yell. They charge straight up the stairs chanting O-Mall-ey O-Mall-ey the whole way up.

"Should I call the police?" Izzie asks jokingly as she peaks her head out from the kitchen. Meredith chuckles a little.

"They seem nice." Josie comments with a shrug, knowing absolutely nothing about them.