Chapter 54

The day has turned to night and Derek and Addison are both dressed and ready to take Sav and Weiss over to Joe's for dinner. Sav wanted to have a last dinner of sorts before her surgery in the morning and her friends were more than willing to comply. Derek and Addison are standing in the lobby facing Meredith who is standing with Josie in her arms. 

"You sure you don't mind taking her?" Derek asks her softly. 

"Not at all, I'm happy to steal a little time with her. Girl's night, right Jos?"

"Yeah! Girls night, plus Georgie." Meredith can't help, but laugh.

"Yeah, plus George." Meredith confirms to Derek with a smile. He smiles back at the two of them. 

"I'm sorry that we couldn't extend the invition..it's just.." Addison starts to explain, but Meredith stops her. 

"It's okay, really. It isn't my place, I'd much rather be home with Josie anyways." Josie smiles and snuggle her head against Meredith's shoulder. 

"Thank you." Addison replies to her. "I'll see you outside." She says to Derek. She kisses Josie on the forehead. "Bye baby, I'll see you tomorrow." Josie waves her little hand and Addison leaves. Meredith look to Derek with a little smirk. 

"You look good." She says lightly. 

"Yeah Daddy you look weally handsome." Josie agrees. 

"Thank you pumpkin." He responds to his daughter as he runs a hand over her hair. "You be good for Mama tonight alright?" Josie nods.

"I will, promise." 

"Good girl." 

"We'll see you later?" Meredith asks him.

"I hope so. but I'm not sure how late we'll be or what shape Sav and Weiss will be in so close to her surgery. I may need to be here." Meredith nods understandingly. 

"Yeah of course, whatever they need. You'll let me know?"  

"Yeah of course, I'll text you." He gives her a quick kiss. 

"Have fun." She tells him. 

"Yeah, you too." He replies with a smile as he turns and leaves to meet the others outside.

"You ready kiddo?" Meredith asks Josie.

"Girl's night!" Josie cheers excitedly in response. Meredith laughs and heads out the front door.

Now at Joe's Bar Addison, Derek, Savvy, and Weiss are sitting in a booth together having a few drinks. Weiss has had a few more than the others.

" When Addie told me she was coming out here. I had such a good feeling. You're family is going to make it, even if it's unconventionally. Josie still has you both and that's what's important." Sav says to the table.

"Yeah they're a couple of clams on a half shell. A couple of peas in a pod." Weiss retorts sarcastically as he takes another long swig from his drink.

"We're still working on it, but we're trying for her sake." Derek replies, choosing to ignore Weiss' comment.

"It's all about choices." Addison adds. Savvy holds up her coke, initiating a toast.

"Well here's to taking life in your own hands." She says. Addison, Derek, and Savvy all cheers, tinking their glasses together,

" Yeah. And here's to bull and here's to crap. And here's to oophorectomy, hysterectomy, double bilateral mastectomy." Weiss spits at the three of them, obviously drunk and upset. 

"Please stop." Sav pleads.

"How smart am I to know all those words?" Weiss continues.

"Stop." Sav says quietly.

"Here's to breast reconstruction, nipple reconstruction. Here's to losing your wife. Here's to being the ass who can't be supportive. Here's to that." He finishes the drink in his hand and places the empty glass down onto the table with more force than necessary then gets up and leaves the bar.