Chapter 36

Derek and Addison are talking just outside Josie's hospital room. They took the opportunity to speak privately while their little girl is still sound asleep inside, with Meredith watching over her tiredly.

"So what happens when she gets out?" Addison asks her soon to be ex husband. "How do we decide who gets her on which days?" Derek sighs, the thought of having to part with his child for days at a time eating away at him.

"It'll have to be a transition. We have to do what's best for her, whatever makes her comfortable. She's been through so much change in so little time. You saw how hard it was for her to let you back in at first. She needs to continue to heal, she doesn't need any extra stress." He answers. Addison nods understandingly.

"Of course, I want what's best for her too. I just have so much time to make up for, I don't want to miss anything else."

"We'll follow her lead for now, until she's on steadier ground. After that we can figure out some sort of schedule. Are you sure this is what you want Addison? Because once we go down this road you can't walk away. It'll destroy her." Addie chews on the inside of her cheek, pondering that thought for only a moment.

"I won't leave her again Derek. I want to be here, to watch her grow up, to guide her when she needs me. Im here, please just let me be here." He runs his hand over the stubble that's begun to grow on his chin before nodding.

"Okay." He replies quietly. Addison sighs with relief. He meant what he said when he told her that he wasn't going to stand in her way of being the mother Josie deserves. No matter how badly he wants to protect his daughter from the potential heartbreak he knows that keeping her from Addison will hurt her just the same. She needs her mother, nothing Addie has done will change that. All he can do is try his best to protect his sweet girls beautiful little heart during this whole process.

Josie stirs and stretches as her parents enter her room. She blinks her eyes open, staring at Addison with surprise.

"Mommy?" She questions, confused and half asleep.

"Hi baby." She whispers softly as she goes to Josie's side.

"You're still here?" She's asks, yawning. Addison looks to Derek.

"You didn't tell her?" She asks him.

"No, i thought you'd want to."

"Yeah of course, I just.."

"Tell me what?" Josie sits up, getting worried.

"Baby, mommy's not going back to New York anymore. Not yet anyways." Addison explains.

"You have more people to help here?" Jojo tries to understand.

"Uncle Richard is allowing me to keep working here, but I'm staying for you honey. So we can be together again." Josie looks to Derek and then to Meredith before looking back at her mother.

"For me?"

"Yes baby, for you." Addison takes Josie's tiny hand into hers.

"Are you gonna live with us?" The little girl questions, not totally understanding the situation.

"No. Mommy will have her own place." Derek answers softly. "But You'll be able to visit her whenever you want." Josie nods, staying quiet. Her gaze is distance.

"Jojo, you okay?" Meredith asks her gently. Josie nods again. When she looks up she looks straight into Addisons eyes.

"Will Uncle Mark stay with you?" She asks her mother. Addison looks to Derek who is just as interested in her answer. She closes her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath before looking back at her little girl.

"Yes," she answers quietly. "Uncle Mark will be staying with me."

"What?" Derek snaps. He tries his best to keep his voice level for Josie's sake but he's furious. Josie pulls her hand away from Addison.

"I was going to tell you..." Addison says to Derek defensively as she gets to her feet.

"You expect me to let my daughter share a home with that man??" He scoffs in disbelief.

"Derek.." Addison tries to reason with him, but he won't hear a word of it.

"No. Absolutely not." Derek cuts her off.

"She's been living with you and your new girlfriend, what's the difference??" Addison retorts emotional.

"The difference..." Meredith cuts them off.

"Derek stop it!" She cries out, bringing the attention back to Josie. Her eyes are glazed over and her little arms are limp at her side. Before any of them even have a chance to react her bright blue eyes roll back into her head and she begins to seize.

"Damn it!" Derek cries out as he moves quickly to move her bed into a flat position. Meredith takes her pillow out from under her and the two of them roll her onto her side. Derek carefully supports her head as her body fails and jerks. Addison watches in horror. Guilt floods through her. She stumbles a few steps back away from the bed. "Today was supposed to be a good day!" Derek cries. "We were going to tell her she gets to go home this week....it was supposed to be a good day!" Meredith places a hand on his shoulder, her eyes filled with just as much sadness as his.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..." Addison mumbles tearfully. Josie's body finally falls still against the bed. Her eyes close and her head lays limp in Derek's hands. Meredith hands him a fresh pillow, he carefully places it under Josie's head making sure to neaten her flowing red hair.

"We can still tell her when she wakes up." Meredith whispers to him, trying to ease his sorrow. "Today can still be a good day." He nods.

"You're right." He says, forcing a weak smile. He reaches his hand out to her from across his resting child. She takes it into hers without missing a beat. He squeezes her hand gently. "Today can still be a good day." He repeats teary eyed.