Chapter 35

Meredith, Christina, and George watch Alex and Izzie play with Josie from across the little girls hospital room. Mixed emotions are flowing through the group of them. Meredith is intrigued, she never expected evil spawn to be good with kids, Christina is disgusted.

"Why is he even here?" Christina whispers to the other two. Meredith shrugs.

"He's been coming with Izzie."

"Why?" Christina asks, visibly cringing at the thought.

"I dunno. I think... I think they might be friends." George replies quietly. Izzie & Alex continue laughing and joking with Josie. Meredith can't help but smile at the sound of Josie's sweet laughter.

"You have to admit, he's really great with her." Meredith whispers back.

"Yeah I'm sure he's a great influence on her impressionable little brain. That's the last thing we need, baby evil spawn." Christina dramatically shivers. Meredith can't help but chuckle.

"I'd be more worried about her having a bad influence on him." She teases. "She's already bet him out of 20 bucks." Christina nods approvingly.

"You think that's bad, you don't even want to know what I owe her." George adds. Christina and Meredith both look to him curiously. "Let's just say I'll be sleeping on the couch for awhile when she gets out of here." Meredith bursts out laughing.

"You bet a three year old your bed?" Christina laughs.

"Oh come on it's the best mattress in the house and you know it. She definitely knows it. All I said was that if she kept working as hard as she has been to get out of here, I'd give her pretty much whatever she wanted when we got home. She asked for a pony first, but since I'm fresh out of those she settled for a week in my 'big bed'."

"That's really sweet George." Meredith replies. He very obviously blushes. He shrugs sheepishly.

"Better make sure you change the sheets." Christina taunts referring to his recent syphilis fiasco. His cheeks turn an even deeper shade of red.

"Of course I'll change the sheets you..." He grumbles under his breath. "Besides, not that it's any of your business, it's gone now, so." He crosses his arms. Christina laughs at his uncomfortableness. Meredith can see Josie's energy beginning to dim.

"Alright guys, I think that's enough play time for today." Meredith tells all of their visitors.

"Aww." Josie pouts, even though she's secretly grateful. All of this much earned progress is exhausting.

"Hey Grey. Izzie was telling me you have tapes of your mom performing surgery. I'd kill to see the Ellis Grey in action." Alex says to Meredith as he walks towards the door.

"Hey you know what? Maybe you can come over tonight and we can all watch it together? Right?" Izzie offers, looking to the others for approval.

"I'm staying here with Josie tonight, Derek has a big surgery tomorrow and needs to get some sleep. Maybe another time?" Alex nods.

"Yeah sure." He smiles a little and then leaves.

"You guys are wrong about him you know, once you get to know him he's actually really sweet." Izzie tells her friends.

"He's Alex." George disagrees.

"Punk ass." Christina mumbles under her breath as they too leave the room. Josie leans back in her bed with a sigh. Meredith sits on the bed beside her.

"You okay?" She asks her gently. Jojo nods.

"My body is tired mama." Meredith runs a hand over Josie's neat red hair.

"I know honey, it's okay to rest." Josie nods again.

"Will Daddy be back soon?"

"Any minute baby, why don't you try to get some sleep. When you wake up he'll be right here waiting for you.

"Okay mama." She agrees weakly. She snuggles up under her covers hugging her stuffed bunny to her chest. "Mama?"

"Yeah?"

"Your mommy was a surgeon too?" She asks curiously after overhearing their conversation about the surgical tapes.

"She was."

"Where's your mommy now?" She asks sweetly. "I haven't seen her here before." Meredith frowns.

"My mom, she's, she's traveling." Meredith tells her. Josie yawns, her eyes blinking heavily.

"I hope I get to meet her someday." Meredith forces a weak sad smile, knowing that will never happen. She continues to play gently with Josie's hair until she drifts off into a gentle slumber.

"I brought-" Derek stops his sentence dead in its tracks as he walks into the room realizing that his daughter is sound asleep. He smiles at her lovingly. Meredith carefully climbs out of the bed to greet him.

"She was exhausted, I sent everyone away so that she could rest." She explains as he places the bags he brought from home on the floor out of the way. He goes to Meredith the second that his hands are free. He caresses her cheek, easing her closer to him before kissing her softly.

"Thank you," He whispers gratefully as he pulls away.

"For what?" She laughs a little, becoming shy at his touch.

"Advocating for our girl. You have no idea how much it puts my mind at ease when I have to leave knowing that you're here with her. I know how difficult it's been juggling the long hours of work and being here. I appreciate what you're doing more than you'll ever know." He tells her honestly. He could never even begin to put into words how grateful he is for her companionship throughout this whole ordeal. She smiles at him.

"Watching her piece herself back together like this...she's a miracle, and I wouldn't trade anything for the opportunity to be here with the two of you. The day we get to bring her home again will make every second of this so worth it." He smiles like a mad man.

"That reminds me..." He smirks mischievously.

"What? What is it?" She asks curiously.

"I talked to Arizona on my way in here. We're going home, the end of this week if things keep up the way they have been."

"What!" Meredith practically shouts with excitement. Derek laughs, shushing her.

"Shh shh, you'll wake her." He whispers happily.

"You're serious? We can take her home?" He nods, hardly able to contain his excitement. It takes everything in her not to jump up in down like a child on Christmas morning. "Derek that's amazing!"

"I can't wait to tell her. Just a few more days."