Chapter 7

__________

<><><>

I opened my eyes ever-so slightly to see him staring at me with a passionate look. His face drew back as he caressed my cheek.

"Zelda...I..."

He didn't finish, only leaning in, and I quickly shut my eyes. The dashing young man leaned forward, his lips hovering over mine before he finally...

...

I shot up with jolt, my scream echoing throughout the room. My eyes glanced to the bed across from me, but lowered down when I remembered that Peach wasn't here to comfort me.

Groaning, I held my face in my heads as I held back tears. Never in my life have I felt so helpless. Wiping away any stray tears, I stood up to prepare myself some breakfast.

Events from yesterday can rushing back to me. The date. Being ditched. Making my way home and meeting Ike. And lastly, Robin.

My stomach dropped at the thought of him as I shuddered. I was about to grab the box of Cheerios when a knock on my door stopped me. I glanced in its direction and dropped my hand down, going over to answer the door.

I unlocked it and threw it opened, frozen in spot when I came face to face with an unexpected person.

Gasping, I threw my arms around her. "Peach!" I cried out before pulling away and inspecting her. "Oh my goddess, are you okay? Where have you been?" I said, spitting out question after question.

She looked the complete opposite of before. Her hair was now perfectly curled, her makeup done to perfection. She was wearing a pink summer dress with matching sandals. In one hand, was her purse, and in the other, was her phone.

She grinned. "Hey, Zeldy!"

I frowned. "Hey? What do you mean, hey? You disappear for like two days and you come back and say 'hey'?"

Her grin diminished slightly as she explained. "I was just alittle mad. I needed to cool off and decide to stay with my mom." Her smile brightened. "But now I'm back!"

I smiled back, ignoring the weird gleam that was swirling in her beady blue eyes. "And I'm glad your back." I said as I pulled her in for another hug.

Peach pulled away, the smile still on her face. "How about we go get something to eat. I'm hungry, and we probably have much to catch up on anyway."

I nodded. "Okay, but let me warn you, these past two days have been pretty eventful." I giggled as we headed out to the local BrawlBucks that was on campus.

We walked around for a while as Peach told me about what she did at her mother's house. Finally, we made it to the little coffeshop, only some college students occupying the shop.

The two of us ordered our food and drinks as we took a seat in the far corner. Peach leaned forward, interested. "So, how was your past few days without me?"

I sighed. "Pretty bad."

"How?"

"I was all alone, ditched on a date, stranded, made my way home, and was bugged by a neighbor, all while worrying about my best friend." I said as I summed up most of my day.

She scrunched her nose. "Wow, you did have a pretty bad day."

"Yup."

Peach suddenly huffed and clasped her hands together. "Well I'll go first." She ignored my confused look and continued. "Zelda, I'm sorry for acting like a jealous bitch and making you worried about me."

I smiled at her apology. "And I'm sorry for leaving you at the party and making you worried." I recited as she genuinely looked happy.

"Now that that's settled, let's make a toast." She said as she raised her small cup of coffee. "To five memorable years of friendship."

I raised my cup and tapped onto hers. "To five memorable years of friendship." I repeated as I thought about when we had first met as sophomores in high school.

"And now that that is out if the way, who the hell did you go on a date with?" She cried out as I flushed red in the face. "Cause I swear I'll rip his balls off for ditching you."

I chuckled as I rolled my eyes. "Wow, looks like Link better watch out."

Her blue eyes widened. "Link? That's really hot new guys asked you out on a date?"

Nodding, I sighed. "Yup, but then he left me."

Peach frowned as she swirled her coffee with a spoon. "What a jerk. I can't believe he would something do that." She suddenly looked up at me. "What'd he leave for? Did he tell you?" Her voice turning hard.

I shrugged. "I...don't know. He didn't tell me."

"Oh, never mind then. He just better sleep with one eye open if he knows what's best for him." She threatened as I cracked a smile.

"Yeah."

Her gaze slowly dropped to my hand as she just stared at it with a newfound hunger in her eyes. I glanced at it. "Is there something on my hand?" I said with uncertainty as I moved my hand away from her vision.

Her eyes snapped up to met mine as she cheerfully grinned. "Huh, oh no. I just zoned out." Peach smiled before taking a sip of her drink.

Narrowing my eyes, I sucked on my teeth, unsure. "Okay." I looked back down at my hand, it was the same one that Robin was so interested in last night.

Something definitely happened while she was away.

And it wasn't for the better.

<><><>

__________