Chapter 1

"I caught one!" I squealed and held my cupped hand up to show my Papa. A small tadpole flopped in the small puddle of water I held tight in my hands. I giggled as it tickled my palms.

"What a cute little guy," my Papa smiled and knelt next to me by the creek. He had his pants rolled up to his knees and his sleeves pushed to his elbows showing his tan weathered skin.

Sundays are always my favorite day of the week. It's the one day my Papa has off from work and we always spend it together.

"Show me how to catch one Sissy!" Raina, my little sister jumped up and down next to me admiring the tadpole.

"You're too little! You have to be big like me to catch them!" I said and stuck my tongue out at her. I only wanted Papa to be proud of me! Not Raina.

"Now, now," my Papa scolded me gently, "Raina is only one year younger than you and I think five is plenty old enough to catch tadpoles."

Papa winked at her and then showed her how to cup her hands and scoop up the small slimy creature. Once she had caught one she screamed, dropped it back in the water, and ran away. I laughed with my Papa and put my tadpole back into the water.

I was happy at least I looked like Papa the most. I had the same exact chocolate brown hair and sky blue eyes as my Mama called them. Raina looked more like Mama with pale blonde hair and green-blue eyes.

The three of us turned in unison when we heard movement in the brush a few yards from where we played.

Raina gasped and ran to jump behind Papa, grabbing his hand.

"Ow! Don't push me Cedric!" a boy's voice called.

"Well you should have let me lead!" another boy's voice answered.

"Ah!" they called at the same time as they broke through the thick brush and stumbled into the creek. The front boy fell face first into the water and the boy behind him laughed at him.

I giggled as well and the sound made the second boy's head snap to me. He had the most beautiful golden hair with sparkling blue eyes. The boy in the water jumped to his feet quickly and glared at me. He was so different with dark almost black hair and eyes to match. They didn't look much older than me. They both backed up to the tree line and it was then I noticed they were clutching hunting rifles. Really pretty looking one with gold designs and deep brown wood. Their clothes were also expensive looking and embellished with gold thread and ruffles but they were filthy and covered in dirt and mud.

"Hello boys," my father called to them tentatively. Also eyeing their rifles.

They nodded and glanced over at my Papa's much older and worn rifle that was propped on a tree behind us.

He had never had to use it when we were out playing but he said he always had it just in case. There were wild boars in the woods as well as wolves and other animals that could be dangerous- never in a million years would I have guessed we needed it for two little boys. But the way they were glaring at my Papa made my skin crawl.

"Are you lost?" my Papa smiled nicely at them.

"No!" the dark-haired boy called out too quickly. Making it very obvious that they were.

My Papa laughed lightly. "Where is the rest of your hunting party?" he asked.

"Just behind us," the dark-haired boy said quickly again. He was a very bad liar. I giggled again and he glared at me which I returned with a smile. He talked in a way I had never heard before, with an accent I think they were called. 

What funny strange little boys.

The golden-haired boy seemed to relax some at the kindness exuding from my Papa. My Papa always did that. He always made everyone feel at home, even if they were lost.