Chapter 32

I could see a shadow pacing outside of my door.

Maybe it's just a guard passing by...

But it came back and forth again right outside my door.

My heart started to race and my palms were sweaty.

Creeping from my bed I made my way to my door.

I could faintly hear the footsteps now and it didn't sound like a guard, they were much louder in their chain mail and carrying their heavy swords at their waist.

Reaching over to the dresser I removed three long white candles from a thick silver candle holder and grasped it in my hand. It weighed more than I thought it would. Good.

Holding my breath I reached and grabbed the doorknob and slowly turned it.

The pacing continued, not noticing the small squeak the doorknob made.

In one big motion, I flung the door open and held the candle holder up like a sword in front of me.

Spinning around and throwing his hands up defensively was... Finn.

We looked at each other with wide eyes for a solid five seconds.

Then Finn burst out laughing.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked, doubled over.

My face turned bright red and I quickly tucked the candle holder behind my back.

"I thought you were- Why are you- Stop laughing at me!"

My face was so hot I couldn't look at him anymore. I turned and put the candle holder back on the dresser and crossed my arms tightly over my chest. I felt exposed not having time to get my robe before.

Finn stood and wiped his eyes, still laughing.

God, it really isn't that funny.

He stepped into my room and closed the door without permission.

I glared at him. He grinned back. My heart flipped.

"Why are you pacing outside my door like a crazy person?" I demanded, still annoyed.

Taking a deep breath he stopped his laughter and looked at me with a crooked smile.

"I wanted to see you."

He repeated his line from the last time he showed up at my room.

"Well now you see me," I motioned to myself sarcastically trying to hide my inward freak out.

"Yes, I do," Finn said softly, all teasing gone. His eyes swept over me, head to toe and back.

I blushed again, my heart speeding up once more.

"Well?" I asked, crossing my arms and pursing my lips.

Finn took in a deep breath again but it was shaky.

He bit his bottom lip and looked away from me.

Then he started pacing again but this time in front of me.

I watched him go back and forth three times running his hands through his hair. It looked damp like he too had just bathed. I had the urge to smell his wet hair and shook my head to clear my thoughts.

"What is going on?" I asked, feeling uneasy at his frantic energy.

"Right," he huffed and stopped in front of me.

Finn pushed his palms together in front of himself and looked at me for a long second.

His eyes slowly narrowed then he abruptly started pacing again.