Big Blue Eyes

I looked at the small little face. Was this why
Mary Ann never talked to me after our last date? I was staring at the baby girl; I studied her every little feature. There was no doubt in my mind.
I was her Father.
The woman cleared her throat. "Sir, everyone would understand if you let her go in to foster care to be adopted to a better home," she holds the baby close like I was going to hurt her.
Of course, I want her, I hadn't said a thing, I still haven't taken my eyes from the Baby girl.
What's her name?"
"Grace Elizabeth Arbor,"
I nod, still looking at the baby.
" Do I Need to sign anything to keep her?" The woman looked at me horrified "B-But you'll be a horrible father, think of the child Mr. pule". "I stare at her, I am thinking of the baby I have a Job a place we can stay she will be taken care of". I answer calmly she opens her mouth to respond something I hear an unfamiliar voice come from the door "Kate, is everything okay?" A guy walks in without asking" she shut her mouth quickly "yes sir" he wants to keep the baby". He smiles "well then, good I brought the paperwork he need's to fill out" he holds up a yellow folder, walking over to me and hands it over. "Sign where its highlighted," the guy says, I open it and sign where I need to. The woman holds the baby close with a an expression of horror on her face. The man Puts Down a purple baby bag on the couch. , the rest of her things are in the car, he says, walking back out. I look Back Down at the papers. 1 day a month for the first year a social worker would come to check on the well-being of the Child, I sign the last paper and look up. The woman is still looking at me. , "Can I hold her?" I ask. She eyes me before she hands her over to me. I take her carefully she's so small, She's still sleeping peacefully. I rock her, smiling, I hate to think this, but I may enjoy being a Dad. The guy comes back with her stuff, she didn't have a lot. He tells me what I'll need to get her: a crib high chair, more formula, diapers, Bottles. I nod whenever they tell me something I need.
I didn't know where to go to get baby stuff,, but I wouldn't let them realize that. After they tell me everything I need to know.
As they move to leave.
The woman looks at me and says, "I'll make sure that poor child doesn't stay with someone like you for long,"
I just stare at her and say "bye" when they're gone I look down at the small baby "well Kid what should we do now?" She's awake now, looking up at me with big blue eyes

_____________________________________________________

Vote comment
follow Nick on Twitter @100_and_a_day
© all right reserved© to Megan Rose Roach