Prologue

"Guilty but Not at Fault on all counts, Your Honor."

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, is this your judgment? If so, say 'Aye.'"

"Aye," chorused throughout the stately courtroom in the central justice building.

"So be it," a pause and shuffling of papers, "Abigail Eileen Parmador, you have been found 'Guilty but Not at Fault' by a jury of your peers. It is now the duty of the court to render its verdict. A 'Guilty but Not at Fault' verdict is reserved for those of the Omega dynamic who because of their biological instincts commit a crime that requires a consequence but who is found to have been unable to control or help themselves."

More paper shuffling.

"You have been found 'Guilty but Not at Fault' of aiding and abetting in the kidnapping of two Omegas both of whom are mates of officers of the Omega Security Force and a variety of other offenses. It is the duty of the jury to decide the guilt or innocence of a defendant, but it is the responsibility of the court to determine the sentence."

"Please rise for sentencing."

Scraping chairs.

Breathe in and out. Just breathe.

"Abigail Eileen Parmador. In the opinion of this court, based on the testimony of a variety of witnesses including the two Omegas you helped to kidnap and their Alphas, you have been misguided and abused your entire life. First, by a family who with full knowledge of your Omega status failed to provide you with the very basics of skills to create a full life, and who in fact used that Omega status to mistreat and abuse you. Secondly, by the Alpha male Tobias who forced you to pose as his mate going so far as to carve artificial mating marks into your skin. And finally, by your own biology that allowed those Alphas to compel your behavior using the power of an Alpha's command."

Kind but knowing blue eyes met her own, "You deserve a chance at a full and happy life. Because of your past history and your willingness to assist the OSF in their continued investigation, it is the ruling of this court that you are to be removed from Omega House and remanded to the care of the Kindred Soul Omega Sanctuary until such time as either the staff feels that you have been rehabilitated or you meet and accept your true Alpha mate."

"Jury, thank you for your service. Court is adjourned."