Chapter 17 || Build Me Up to Watch Me Fall

What is this I sense? An update?

CW // swearing, mention of Christianity

The next week at Camp Half-Blood wasn't fun for Percy. He was shuffled through a regime of training so that he wouldn't die the second he left camp, he didn't know who his godly parent was, and on top of that, he was sleeping on the floor.

Despite that, Percy managed to fall into the routine, the repetition giving him time to think. Vague tidbits of his past were coming back, but none of them made sense.

There was a lot of darkness, for one. Darkness and silence. The kind of mind-consuming silence that seeped in your pores and made your thoughts scream at you.

There was also a woman, familiar in a way that felt like coming home after a long, tiring day. She had fine features, and eyes that sparkled like the night sky.

Finally, there was a pair of babies. Twins, both the same and opposite. He had cared for them and loved them like his own.

Percy had been there for two weeks when the routine changed.

It was right before lights-out when there was a sudden pounding pain in his head. He curled up on his sleeping bag, holding his head. It hurt so, so much. He passed out.

The Hemes kids and the undecided kids were all crowded around him. Whispers were passed through pursed lips and rumors spread quickly. By the time Percy was taken to the infirmary, half the camp knew.

They knew something was happening, they just didn't know what.

When Percy woke up, the entire camp knew. When Percy woke up, Chiron was by his side.

When Percy woke up, he was different.

It wasn't a difference that was noticeable immediately, but after spending a little longer with him, people started to see it. The slightly off way he talked, how much more thoughtful he was, the wisdom in his eyes.

• • •

He watched.

He watched as the One remembered. And as he watched, he hoped. But hope was always a fickle thing. The last of what was left in Pandora's Jar. Hope was lonely. Hope was scared. Hope was weak.

Hope was almost dead, and soon Hope would be gone. Nothing left but a memory.

Still, he hoped. He would get Perseus on his side this time. It wouldn't do to fail again.

His flame still burned in his hand. His eyes still watched, golden, and reflecting the fire in a way that made him seem like the demons from the Christian stories.

His smirk widened.

His time was coming.

Soon, everyone would remember his name.

• • •

Percy was fucked.

There. Plain and simple. Easy to understand. He was fucked and that was a fact of life.

First of all, Zoë. She had her suspicions and she wouldn't stop until they were resolved.

There were also the twin children of Zeus. They had their suspicions.

And finally, the looming threat above them all.

But Percy was still fucked.

-//-

I hate this one almost as much as I hate that other one. But I'm too lazy to make it better.

I have a wip that I'm working on and I like it quite a bit. It's not published yet.

You know the drill with the chapter title.

I'm in school. I'm stressed. I fucking hate this. I'm only posting this cuz I'm bored at school. I also wrote most of this today at school.

Anyways, thanks for reading this trash, I'll see you in like another two months or something.

Peace ✌︎︎

Published Sep. 28, 2021