Chapter 8 || War Is Here

(Y'all are lucky, also please try your best to make sense of my AN at the bottom)

Chaos was the reason why there was so much bad and evil. Chaos upended the scales, shifting them in favour of darkness. You may ask how? Well, it's these little things you may have heard of: Primordials.

The Primordials were spoiled. There's no other way to put it. In their short childhood, they had all that they could ever ask for, and it went to their heads. As they matured, they thought that everything was theirs to control. But power must bow to the whims of fate.

• • •

Zoe spun around, hearing a twig break. But, after realizing that it was Perseus, she launched herself at him, hugging him tightly.

"Perseus!"

Perseus' arms came up to wrap tightly around Zoe's frame, savouring every second with her. He closed his eyes, resting in the last moments of peace. He relished how they fit together like puzzle pieces; made for each other.

"Perseus?"

Right. Back to reality. "Yes Star?"

"Are you okay? You seem lost." Zoe's black eyes were filled with worry.

Perseus sighed. "War is on the horizon, it's time to prepare for destruction."

"War?" Zoe now looked about ready to cry. "Will you be a part of it?"

"It is my duty to the Balance."

Zoe, whose face had previously been buried in Persus' chest, jumped back. "The Balance? As in the Prota?"

Perseus, who was staring off into space, jumped at the word "prota." He looked guilty for a second before attempting, and failing, to smooth his features into an emotionless mask.

"I thought so," Zoe mused, "You said you weren't a god or titan."

"Zoe-"

"Perseus," The word was growled through gritted teeth. "Was there something real between us? Or as it a joke for you. Am I just a conquest for your own pleasure? Do I even mean anything to you?"

"Zoe-" Perseus tried again.

"What?" Now she was close to tears, "Was I only a way for you to get closer to my father? Was-"

Perseus cut her off, "Yes."

"I only- Huh?" Zoe paused her ranting.

"Yes and no. There was something between us, it was not a joke, you weren't a conquest, and yes, you mean the world to me. No, it was not to get close to your father."

After Perseus' explanation, he wrapped her in a hug, and Zoe buried her tear streaked face into Perseus' chest.

"Star," Perseus whispered, "I need to go now."

"No."

"Star, we are on the brink of war."

"It is not here yet," Zoe mumbled.

Perseus carefully extracted himself. "But it can come at any moment."

"Then let me live these last few with you."

Perseus gave Zoe a deep kiss. "I must go now. I love you."

With that, he walked off, not knowing that it would be the last time he saw her for millennia.