Duels

Zuko kept his gaze firmly fixed on the double set of doors, fervently wishing that the doors did not open outwards. However, wishing wouldn't make it so. Therefore, he had no choice upon vaulting up the two steps but to pause and jerk the door open as quickly as possible. His speed and probably sheer boldness had apparently surprised Mai, as she did not respond. Not quickly enough, anyway.

Throwing his weight against the door to hold it open, Zuko used his now-free hand to grasp Mai by one wrist and pull her in after him. He did not really view her as a threat now. First of all, ranged combat was her area of expertise, and secondly, he was convinced that she hadn't really been trying to hurt him. If she had, she would have started with the arrows instead of the knives; he would have had less warning of the attack.

He pressed Mai firmly but gently against the wall inside and allowed the door to drift closed as he moved closer to her. He did owe her an apology, and he might as well get it out of the way now. Besides, it gave his eyes time to adjust to the torch-lit hall.

"I'm sorry about the way I left," he said in a tone that was low but intense.

"A letter?" Mai hissed, interrupting what he was going to say next. "Of all things, a letter?"

"I couldn't take the chance of anyone finding out I was leaving until I was gone," Zuko tried to explain. Except his father, of course, who was the only one he'd needed to face directly.

"I wouldn't have told Azula," she bit out, but Zuko noticed that she didn't seem surprised to learn that he hadn't trusted her. At that moment, Ty Lee burst in. Zuko released Mai long enough to bring his swords up into a guard position. Ty Lee's gaze flicked between the two of them.

"Okay, it looks like my work here is done," the insufferably cheerful girl stated, already backing down the hallway. "I can tell you've got things well in hand. I'm just going to..." With that, she turned and fled, and Zuko returned his attention to Mai.

"I would have come with you," said Mai then, and Zuko searched her face to find the truth behind her words. That had been the main reason he hadn't told her he was leaving. Half of him had been afraid she'd refuse to come with him; the other half had been afraid that she'd agree. Perhaps that was how he had realized that there wasn't as much between them as he'd thought. If he'd truly believed in their relationship, he'd have had no doubts. Finally, he shook his head.

"You don't know that, and neither do I," he contradicted her. "I had to choose my own path, and you were free to choose yours."

"I loved you," she whispered, and though he noticed the past tense, he didn't remark on it.

"Did you?" he asked instead. "Did you really?" Her eyes narrowed.

"How can you ask me that?" she demanded.

"How can I ask? I'll tell you. Three years, Mai. Three years! Not a word from you...what was I supposed to think?"

"I...my father...I couldn't."

At last, Zuko backed away, although he kept his guard up. If Mai had really loved him, she would have found a way to communicate with him during the long years of his exile; he was sure of it. He'd been watching Aang and Katara for months now, even before he'd joined them, and he now knew what love was supposed to be. He'd also reunited with his uncle and mother, and he had new friends. He was no longer so starved for affection as he'd once been.