The Wedding

Aang made one more visit to the South Pole prior to the wedding, for Katara's birthday. He brought a gold chain onto which her mother's - and grandmother's - pendant could be transferred. This was a timely gift, since the ribbon she'd had all her life was old and rotting. Instead of a clasp, however, the Avatar simply placed it around her neck and then wrapped his hand around it at the back. With a small amount of firebending, he was able to fuse the two ends together. Of course, it wouldn't easily come off, but she should never again have reason to remove it.

After this act had been completed, the two shared a secret look, and Hakoda got the feeling, not for the first time, that there was still a lot about their their journey that he didn't know. Perhaps he never would.

When the day of the wedding arrived, it was a bright, sunny, winter solstice that greeted everyone involved. The guests had begun arriving days before due to the remoteness of the location, and the population of the South Pole swelled. The guests gathered in the new meeting hall while Hakoda waited with Katara, Suki and Toph for their time to enter.

Katara was wearing an incredible dress of her own design, made of silver, blue and white material draped tastefully over her body in a manner that allowed her to be warm while also accenting the feminine curves of her figure. Completing the picture was the gold chain with the ivory pendant at her throat and the marble combs holding her hair out of her face. She surveyed her image in the reflective ice of the wall.

"Nervous?" her father asked in a low voice.

"A little," she admitted. "This is a big step."

"It is," he agreed.

"Sometimes..." Katara hesitated before continuing, checking to see that the other two girls were occupied in their own conversation. "Sometimes, I wonder if I'll really be able to make him happy. He could have anyone in the world."

"And he chose you." Not for the first time, Hakoda wished his wife were here. He didn't know what to say to a woman on her wedding day. "You already make him happy; I can see it. Have I mentioned recently how proud of you I am?"

"A few times," she smiled. "It's nice to hear, anyway." She gave him a hug.

Suki was wearing simple robe of pale blue, covered with a parka, her short hair falling loosely around her face. Toph was nearly smothered by her parka and wearing fur boots that she clearly was not comfortable in. It was impossible to tell that she had a white dress on underneath all of the warm layers. Her hair was done up into an elegant bun and secured with gold ribbon.

At last, one of the women of the tribe came to tell them that all was ready. Suki and Toph went out first, arm in arm so that Suki could guide her blind companion. Hakoda followed with Katara, walking at a stately pace. The ice walls of the short corridor reflected her beauty until they emerged into the large gathering area. All of the guests were sitting on cushions, rugs, furs, or blankets, and they turned to view the bride when she appeared. Pakku stood at the center, all the way to the front of the room. Aang stood to his right, clothed in a new outfit of pale gray that made his eyes seem to stand out sharply against his pale skin. He was gazing adoringly at Katara, and Hakoda marveled once again at how the airbender never seemed to feel the cold. Arranged in a line behind him were Sokka and Firelord Zuko, standing out against the icy backdrop in his heavy, red coat. He was doubtless wearing mourning white underneath, but it was likely that this was the only warm covering he owned. There was little need to bundle up in the hot Fire Nation.

Toph and Suki took their places to Master Pakku's left, and Hakoda and Katara reached the front of the room to stand near the center.

"Members of the Southern Water Tribe and honored guests," Pakku began the ceremony. "We have come here today for one purpose: to join the lives of Avatar Aang and the waterbender Katara in the sacred bonds of marriage. Who presents the bride?"