Part 9

"You had no right, Lindsey."

Stevie didn't exactly want to leave with him, but if she had stayed, it would have been more embarrassing than walking out, when she did. She knew, people were going to talk, but at least she wasn't there, she wasn't going to hear them.

"You humiliated me." She added, a large gap separating them as they sat in the back of a limo. 

"You were doing a fine job of that yourself." Lindsey rolled his eyes, staring out the window on his side. He was actually surprised that she chose to leave with him. 

"So, what's your big plan, huh?" She glanced at him, then quickly looked away again. "I'm not quite ready for bed yet."

"I told the driver to take you home." 

She was about to scratch his eyes out. "I don't want to go home!"

"Well, tough." He shrugged, bouncing his knee. "You've had enough fun. You're a mess."

"Oh, that's nice, Linds." She flashed him a forced smile, but he didn't react to it. "I had no idea, you thought so highly of me."

"Stevie-" Lindsey pinched the bridge of his nose, she was giving him a headache. "I'm trying to be a friend, okay? I'm trying to do the right thing."

"The right thing to do would have been leaving me the hell alone. I was having a good time. I was enjoying myself." Stevie began fidgeting with her necklace, which was probably a sign of her needing another fix already. 

"Joe fucking Walsh was enjoying you." The thought made him shudder. "Is it a goal of yours or something? You won't be satisfied until you fuck the whole band?"

"Fuck you." She told him, eyes narrowed. 

"I would, but you won't let me." Lindsey shrugged, facing her. 

"Oh, so that's what you want? You drag me away, so you would get a chance?" She scoffed, shaking her head. "My world does not revolve around you, Lindsey. I told you, I was done."

"We both know, that's not true." 

Stevie turned to him, but she kept her mouth shut. He couldn't quite tell, what was going through her mind right now. "You don't need me, Lindsey. All you need is to fuck me now and then, just so you could prove to yourself, I'll never be over you. Well, guess what? I don't feel anything. It's just a release. A great one, I'll give you that." 

His jaw clenched, Lindsey's breathing grew heavier. She was pushing the right buttons to set him off, but he swore to himself, he wasn't going to fight with her tonight. He was going to bring her home and leave.

"You don't have to pretend to be my friend. We don't even have to talk to have sex." She shrugged, shifting in her seat to move farther away from him. "This whole..." She trailed off, thinking of how to put it into words. "This whole I care about you that's why I'm doing this thing - I'm not buying it." 

"You don't have to. I'll sleep better at night, knowing that you slept at home and not in another stranger's bed. I know, I care. I don't give a shit, whether you believe me or not." He did, he absolutely did. 

The limo stopped, signaling the arrival at their destination. Well, Stevie's destination. Lindsey had intended to go home, once he was sure, she was back safe in her own home, too. 

He had to have zoned out for a moment, when he heard Stevie repeating his name a couple of times. Lindsey turned to look at her, she was already out of the car, half bent over, looking back at him.

"So?"

"What?" Lindsey responded at last.

"Are you coming inside or not?" Stevie asked him again, sounding irritated.

Shit.