Part 18

Stevie was rushing to pack the last of her things. Naturally, she overslept, which left her with only about half an hour. She rushed from one corner of the house to the other, making sure to get everything she considered to be essential for the upcoming days. 

The doorbell rang at the agreed time and Stevie cursed to herself as she made her way down the stairs. "Hey." She said and left the door open for Lindsey to close.

"You haven't packed your things yet, have you?" He assumed, following her up to the bedroom. "It's okay, we've got time."

"I just need to grab one last thing and I'll be ready." Stevie promised, disappearing into her closet in search for the said item. 

"You'd think, we're leaving for a week." Lindsey teased, looking at the three suitcases on the bed. "I have one."

"You're a man, Lindsey. What do you really need?" Stevie returned and put what she had brought out into the last unzipped suitcase. "You sure about this?"

"What exactly?" Lindsey asked, his hands in his jeans pockets. 

"Our road trip." She clarified. "About staying with me at my parents' for the weekend?"

"Absolutely." He assured, nodding his head. "I think, it will be good for us."

The last several weeks were something out of a fairytale. Sort of. A little tentative at first, Stevie and Lindsey began spending time together as much as they could. They didn't label any particular night as a date, they were learning to be friends again. They tested the waters at home, then they eventually went out for dinner a couple of times. He had taken her to the beach on several days, she asked him if they could go record shopping together. A few days ago, Stevie suggested going to Phoenix. She hadn't been home for far too long and she wanted Lindsey there with her. A little taken a back, but he agreed.

"Okay, I'm ready." Stevie announced and Lindsey lifted two suitcases off the bed, leaving the last one for her. 

"Have you eaten already?" Lindsey asked, putting her things in the back. 

"No, I just had a cup of coffee." She replied, getting into the passenger's seat. 

"Maybe we'll find a place by the road." He wondered, fastening the seatbelt. Looking over at her, he took a deep breath and smiled. "Let's do this?"

"Let's do this." She nodded, covering his hand with her own for a few short seconds.

It was scary. They both realized that this trip was either going to bring them closer together or completely break them apart. No matter what they told themselves, neither were focused on fixing their friendship anymore. They had a taste, a reminder, of who they used to be, what they used to have and that was exactly what they wanted again.