Part 21

Stevie had been awake for some time now. She didn't move, though, enjoying the feeling of Lindsey's arm draped around her middle, his chest slowly rising and falling, pressed against her back. It was during these kind of moments, when she allowed herself to dream. What if they weren't completely screwed up? Was there still a chance for them to work things out and actually be more than just friends? There was no question about wanting, because they both did, but so many things had ruined their previous chances, they had always faced a lot of obstacles, but... Everything just felt so different.

"Why are you up so early?" Lindsey asked, still sounding sleepy. 

"I don't think that it is, I just haven't moved yet." Stevie replied and smiled, when he brushed her hair away from her neck and pressed several small kisses there. 

"Oh, and why's that?" He pressed up against her closer and tightened his hold on her. 

She shrugged, running her nails along the length of his arm. "I'm too comfortable to move."

"Good. Don't." He said, but in spite of that, he proceeded to turn her around so they were face to face. "I've missed waking up with you."

"We haven't slept together much lately." She gave him a one sided smile and ran her fingers through his messy hair. 

"Mhm." He nodded. "And I've missed that." He brought his hand up and cupped her cheek. "I must say, I'm extremely proud of myself that we both woke up with our clothes still on." 

"Were you tempted?" Stevie asked, biting into her bottom lip.

"Oh, yeah." Lindsey admitted easily. "You?" She responded with a small nod of her head. "Can I kiss you?"

"I haven't brushed my teeth yet." That was always her defense, but he'd kissed her under worse conditions. 

"All these years later and you still think, I care?" He scoffed, making her laugh lightly.

His eyes on hers, he slowly leaned in a gently pressed their lips together. He pulled back, then she gave him a quick peck. They played this game, taking turns for a little while, until their lips locked again and he refused to let go. The kiss grew and their hands began to wander. They were starting to lose themselves in the moment, forgetting where they were, until rather loud footsteps on the other side of the door separated them.

"Kinda wish we weren't in your parents' house right now." Lindsey whispered, brushing the tip of his nose against hers.

Stevie grumbled, disappointed. "Maybe if we just stay super quiet?"

"I'd love to, but I'm not going to risk your father overhearing us." Lindsey shook his head, feeling quite frustrated himself. "He'd probably shoot me right then and there." 

With Lindsey lying on his side, Stevie managed to roll onto her back. She sighed heavily and turned her head to look at him. "I don't want to just be friends, Lindsey."

A loud knock on the door prevented Lindsey from replying. "I hope you two are awake." Barbara said. "I've got breakfast ready." 

"Uh, maybe... I guess, we should go." Lindsey said, while Stevie stared at him, having hoped for a totally different kind of response.