Coffee

The sun had peaked just over the small park where the young girl sat with her hybrid companion, a small polystyrene cup resting between their hands. JB had analysed her; the moment he had saw her hobbling in his direction, a small bag around her undamaged arm and a cap covering her face. He had noticed more prominently, the two slacks of wood wrapped in cloth that rested upon the pick nick table. His young friend never once questioned his frown, too afraid to lie to his face instead choosing to sip slowly from her cup.

"How's the sanctuary been?" I asked, somewhat sheepishly, as I looked up from my coffee,. JB swallowed thickly, tilting his head softly at the question.

" Everything is okay" I saw him shift slightly, ears flicking almost unrecognisably in the shallow wind. It was a no brainer that he was hiding something from me, something important. It made my mind wonder to the darkest depths of possibilities the sanctuary was in, was the funding not coming through? Was there another riot? Did someone get kidnapped? A hand placed gently on my shoulder, startling me out of my tragic state. " It can wait until you come back to work."

" Is everyone alright?" There was a slight wisp in my voice I had never heard before, something a lot worse than the guilt of treasuring hybrids. I turned to look up at my companion, a soft, reassuring smile on his face as he nodded.

" Everyone's alright. I promise." He chuckled lightly as I heaved a sigh of relief. " The younglings miss you though, I don't think I tell stories as good as you."

I chuckle alongside him, I miss those kids a lot. They were my life, my reason for existing. Alongside my seven hybrids of course. I loved them like my own, kids that had no family, years of abuse, being bred for entertainment. Every flaw made them grow into the younglings they were now, damaged but beautiful.

" Do you want me to take you home, better get some rest?" JB piped up again, wrapping an arm around my neck. He was right, Jin had told me to rest. So I nodded, only to be softly pushed towards his car. I watched in slightly humour as he opened the door, a bowing low as he gestured to the leathered seats.

" Just get in idiot." I slapped his arm as I climbed in, a laugh cascading behind the closed door as JB rotated to his side of the door. His posture was stiff as he fell into the seat, a stoic look over his face as he placed his hands on the wheel.

" Where to Miss?" His tone was deep, husky almost as he turned to look at me, a small smirk plastered on the side of his lips as he waited for me to answer.

" Homeward bound."