8*> MENTAL STATE

CLAIRE'S POV

THE ANNIVERSARY

We got downstairs to find my dad hugging my mother from behind, unaware of our presence in the living space.

I cleared my throat to gain their attention and they awkwardly moved away from each other.

We all walked quietly out of the house and made our way to the mansion. As we were passing the terrace, we saw Aracelli and Racheal taking pictures. We walked past them into the house.

We were walking down the hallway when I heard Mr. Alonso and his brothers talking in the living room and immediately my stomach flipped. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead as all the hairs on my skin stood on end and my heart hammered in my chest.

My mind started to race just with the thought of seeing him.

I have been dreading the moment I would be compelled to lay eyes on him again. 'What would I do? Will I end up breaking down in front of him? Will I have another panic attack?' I just couldn't stop imagining the worst.

As we entered into the living room, I sighed loudly when I saw he wasn't there. It was almost like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

I knew I would eventually have to face him, but until then, I can keep mentally preparing myself for that moment.

My father immediately walked to the plush couch and took a sit beside Mr Gustav, joining in their conversation. My mother, sister, and I exchanged pleasantries with the men before dispersing into our various zones.

I walked around the spots in the house where I know Noah would never visit before finally deciding to settle in the garden because of it's quietness and because I wanted to be alone until the dinner started.

The dinner was supposed to be a ruse to make the celebrants believe that was the only thing planned for the night when in truth there was a whole party ready for them on the other side of town.

The dinner was to start with everyone present at the table and then in the middle Marcela would sneak everyone out of the mansion to the party venue, leaving only the celebrants behind.

They were supposed to figure out where we all were with the clues that were placed around the house.

I took a seat on the bench underneath the neem tree in the garden. I took deep breaths as I relished in the cool wind of the evening that danced around my skin and hair.

I leaned my head backwards on the bench, closing my eyes to enjoy the feeling of brief serenity. This was probably the first time in three days that my mind has been able to find peace. My mind was completely blank at this moment. I felt afloat.

Then I suddenly felt something move past me very quickly, compelling me to open my eyes. I looked around searching for who it was but I saw nobody.

I was about to go back to my position when I saw someone standing by the pool. I was unable to see him clearly because the person's back was to me and the pool was on the extreme side of the garden. I
raised my hands over my head in an attempt to magnify the image but it didn't help at all.

I stood up walking intently to where the boy was standing. Moving closer, I found the person's back was dripping with a red liquid that looked like blood. He didn't look like someone I had seen before.

"Hello? Who are you? What are you doing? You're not supposed to be here," I asked but got no response.

"I'll call security if you don't-" My breath got hitched in my throat when the person turned around.