28*> TRUST

PRESENT DAY

CLAIRE'S POV

I gaped at him, lips parted, brows knitted, with a crusty nose and a tear-stained face.

"W- What did you say?" I asked with my faint voice, the evidence of my ceaseless crying for the past two days.

"I'll help you escape," Jeremiah repeated and I continued to stare at him.

It's been two days since Noah compelled me into jumping out of a window. I suffered a sprained ankle and a bruised back from the fall; consequently, the doctor recommended two weeks of bed rest.

I had refused any visitors, including Jeremiah, because I didn't want anyone to see me at my lowest, but he forced himself into my bedroom and declared he was going to help me escape.

"Do- Do you know w- what you're saying? You're talking about going against your brother for me." I asked him.

"I know what I said," he announced.

"Do you know the consequences of what you're talking about doing? Your father will punish you severely. Noah will never let you go scot-free... No, I will not run away at the detriment of your safety." I retorted firmly.

Jeremiah paced to and fro for a few minutes before stopping, "Claire, do I look like I care about the consequences? I don't! I don't care what my papa or brother would do, as long as you're safe."

"Jer, I am grateful to God for sending you into my life and I appreciate you thinking about my wellbeing, but do you really think you can face the aftermaths of going against your father? Can you take his scorn?" I begged the question.

I blinked as a tear rolled down my cheek, "I can't put you in that position even if I wanted to. I'll not be able to do that."

"Can you listen to yourself talk? You had to jump out of a window because Noah couldn't keep his shit together. Do you know what he'll do after marriage? Claire, I love and respect my brother, but I will not allow him to cause any harm to you ever again. I will not let him ruin your life no matter the cost." he proclaimed.

I thought I had finally run out of tears when I woke up this morning, but I was wrong because Jeremiah's words got my tear ducts working themselves again.

I felt tears sprint down my face freely, "Jer-"

"No," he whispered. "There's so much I wanted to do to help you, but I couldn't because I was putting my family first. I know how important my family is to me, but you are my family too and I can't watch you suffer anymore. I feel like I'll suffocate to death if I continue pretending I don't see how he hurts you. Claire, this is the only way I can help, so let me. Please," he pleaded.

I wanted to be selfish and snatch the opportunity he was offering, but I knew my choices would come with consequences—Not only would Noah do everything to hunt me down if I ran away, but I'm sure my father would help him do it.

After a few minutes of thinking critically about it, "Fine. Let's say I accept your offer, is there a way I can keep in touch with my mum and D?" I asked hopefully.

He shook his head before saying, "You know that's the first place they will look for clues. You'll have to cut contact with anything that can be traced back to you."

Fresh tears filled my eyes as I started to think about never seeing Dorothy again. I could not envisage a life without her in it.

"What if-"

"No," he retorted, without even hearing the question.

"But you know I can't live without Dorothy. I can't imagine how hard her life will be without me. I know how difficult it was for me when I lost Lamaari. I can't do that to her. I can't put her through that loss." I implored with more tears.