21*> BOUNDARIES

CLAIRE'S POV

PRESENT DAY

"What about a small get-together?" I asked as the swing I was sitting on swayed forward.

"Elaborate,"

"Well, I was thinking I could buy a cake, cook something nice, and invite some of his friends over," I replied with a smile.

"Claire, are you serious right now?" I could hear the change in her voice. She was upset at my suggestion.

"Are you celebrating a child's birthday? Even children of this generation would never want that nonsense you are proposing." Dorothy said in one breath.

Jeremiah's twenty-two was coming up in a week and I wanted to do something nice for him, but I hadn't the slightest idea what I could do. That was why I called Dorothy to help me out.

I pressed the phone harder on my ear with my right hand as my left hand moved up to the swing chain, "I get it, okay? You don't have to be so mean. You already know I'm bad at these things. That's why I called you, remember?"

"Better don't even think about that crap anymore. You remember I warned you when you decided to do the same for Katherine's twenty-first, but you didn't listen. You remember what happened because of your adamancy?" she continued to berate my idea.

"I already get it, D. You don't have to go an extra mile with it," I complained.

I inhaled the sweet oceanic scent and exhaled, "So what do you suggest I do? I've been unable to get a hold of Katherine these days because she's always out, so it's entirely up to me."

"There are a lot of exciting things you could do single-handedly. You don't need her." she said with a hint of anger.

I had told Dorothy about Katherine and I's disagreements, and she somehow found fault in only Katherine.

"What about renting out a strip club? Jeremiah would love that!" she smacked her lips.

"Oh my God! D, are you listening to what you're saying? How could you suggest that?" I scolded.

"What! What did I do wrong?" she murmured into the phone.

"For one, he has a girlfriend. He's not that kind of person anymore. Another thing is, I would never agree to something like that. I don't even know what a strip club looks like, let alone know how to locate one." I said.

"Girlfriend my ass. I bet you they will break up before Thanksgiving," she blurted.

"D, stop it. Don't jinx it. I know Jer is doing the right thing for once. It has not been easy for him, but I am proud that he is getting emotionally matured and he now knows the importance of forming relationships." I said very proudly.

"Anyways, back to the matter at hand. What else do you have in mind? Please refrain from any disgusting ideas," I added.

"Fine, but I'm sure the lothario in him would have appreciated my disgusting ideas." she retorted.

"Let's move along, D."

"You could rent a swimming pool- and before you shut down that idea, hear me out!" she rushed out knowing I would have objected.

"Speak now or forever hold your peace,"

"A pool party is the better version of a strip club. It'll be easier to plan and you won't be doing anything out of the line. Believe me, it's the best idea so far and I'm sure Jerry will appreciate it." she convinced.