19*> EXPOSED

CLAIRE'S POV

PRESENT DAY

"What?" I questioned with a clueless face as I took a step backwards to create a little space between us.

Noah swept his brown locks that had overgrown during his stay in the hospital away from his face before looking at me. He stared intently at me for a few minutes as though he was deep in thought.

I knew I was in big trouble just by the way he was staring at me and the fact that he was thinking. Noah normally doesn't need to think about anything because he always had everything figured out.

So, when he starts to think, it means there's trouble because his imagination starts to run wild, which equals a catastrophic outcome.

"This innocent facade, how long have you been playing it," he asked very seriously.

"Wha- what?!" I cried out with a crumpled face. "I- I- I don't... I don't understand." I let out as I stared at him wide-eyed, confusion written all over my face.

I couldn't comprehend any of the things that were leaving his mouth, but one thing was clear to me. Noah was furious; irrefutably, malignantly, and extremely mad at me.

"You think you can fool me?" he asked in an even rougher tone, and then a scoff escaped his lips. "You did fool me... I have been falling for your crappy charade all this time."

"What!" I said more strongly, completely befuddled by his accusations.

"No- Noah, I swear, I- I don't know what you're talking about... The only re- re- reason I wore that dress was that Katherine had asked me to. I- I promise." I immediately tried to clear up the misunderstanding. I didn't want him nursing such an idea for even a second longer.

"Yeah?" he asked with a quirked brow as he took a threatening step toward me.

Fear consumed my entire being with just that single step he took. I stared at him with pleading eyes as I took a step backwards.

A smug appeared on his face and his eyes twinkled with mischief when he noticed my retraction.

He took another ominous step toward me and I took another step back as well. "You wanna play with me?" he asked, glaring at me challengingly.

Tears had already gathered at the back of my eyes, but I decided I wasn't going to cry. I knew that if I did, I would lose my sense of reasoning, and that wasn't what I needed at a time like this.

"No," I shook my head rapidly to show him I wasn't contending him.

He took another step forward and I tried so hard to remain where I was, but my body just wouldn't listen to what my mind was commanding. I unintentionally took another step backwards.

Noah let out a grim laugh as he sent a baneful look my way. In one swoop movement, he captured me by the arm and twisted it behind my back.

"Arrggghhh!! No- Noah. Noah, please." I cried in pain. He was putting so much pressure on the arm, that it almost felt like he was going to break it.

He twisted my arm even harder and pulled my back against his chest, "Answer me." he whispered into my ear, making me shudder visibly.

"I- I- I'm sorry. I promise to never wear something like that again... I will never do it again!"

"That's not what I fucking asked you," he snorted.

I shrieked when he pulled my arm further behind my back and abruptly pressed me on the counter, causing me to be bent over.