18*> RESTRAINT

NOAH'S POV

SEVEN YEARS AGO

"This must have been very sudden to you. I made that announcement without asking what you wanted."

I looked at the pile of papers on his desk before raising my head to look at my father seated across from me. I was a little tense because of the announcement he made at dinner.

"There are certain things you should already know will happen at some point in your life. Getting married is one of them... I admit it's gonna take a while before you officially tie the knot, but it is important to find the right match for you now." he finished.

"Padre, I understand what you're saying, and you know that I will never question your decisions, but you caught me off guard. I wish you said something to me beforehand." I told him honestly.

"Fair enough. I guess I should have given you a heads up." he acknowledged with an affirmative nod. "Nonetheless, I have made the announcement."

"Does it mean you really want me to marry this girl... or is this just another stunt for the public?" I asked.

"Son, marriage in our family is a very serious business. You are entitled to only one wife, and once you are joined in matrimony, that's it. It's for life. No take backs." he divulged.

His deep blue eyes flickered to the portrait of my grandfather hanging beside the blue floral urn before shifting back to me. "You know, when I was about your age, your grandfather gave me an elaborate talk of how important and real marriage is and I thought it was all bullshit, but, I've come to realize how true his words were."

He stood up from his massive swivel chair and went to the portable bar on the far left corner of his office. He pulled two glasses and picked up the decanter before pouring the liquid into the glasses. "I'm going to be straightforward with you son. Once you get married, you will stick it out until the brutal end. That's how crucial it is. That is why I went through all the trouble of finding the best match for you." He strolled back to his desk with the two glasses and handed me one before going to his seat.

He then sipped his drink, "I admit Michael's daughter wasn't my first choice. As a matter of fact, she wasn't an option at the beginning, but your mother gave me a different perspective. I thought it through, and ultimately I believe she's the best selection for you." he finished before taking another sip.

I scrunched my face as I cleared my throat to soothe the burning sensation the bitter liquid caused in my throat. At sixteen, I still hadn't mastered the art of drinking without the unpleasant side effect of the after-burn.

"I know getting married is a duty I must fulfil to this family. The truth is, I don't really care who becomes my wife. I'm not bothered by whoever the fuck wears the ring or takes the family name, as long as she doesn't try to meddle in my life... Padre, I don't want you thinking I will treat her any differently because you gave her the special title of the fiancé." I told him what was going through my mind.

A one-sided grin appeared on his face, " Alejandro, she's going to be your wife. Yours, keyword. I believe that is self-explanatory."

He sat up straight. "You are my heir and you're going to lead this family someday, so start acting like it," he told me very seriously.

"Yes, sir. I will not let you down." I replied him.

"Good... There's one more thing."

"What is it?" I inquired.

"There is a tradition that is bestowed upon the eldest son of every generation. This tradition is said to bode goodwill and prosperity upon the family for the next decade."