13*> MISCONSTRUE

CLAIRE'S POV

PRESENT DAY

"Ethyne has a very high degree of unsaturation, so they are chemically more reactive. They combust completely in pure oxygen and burn with a non-luminous but very hot flame. That is why they are used to produce oxyacetylene which can be used for cutting metals and welding." Professor Margaret explained from the front of the class.

She was seated at the edge of her desk with both her hands resting on her lap. "What are some of the most common differences between alkenes and alkanes we discussed in the previous class?" she asked and almost immediately several hands were lifted, "Yes, Miss Pines?"

"Alkenes are unsaturated hydrocarbons whereas alkanes are saturated." The female student replied.

"Correct... Mr. Stinson?" Prof. Margaret called on another student.

"Alkenes have two hydrogen atom less than the corresponding alkanes." he answered and she gave him a nod as response.

Prof. Margaret looked around the lecture hall before focusing her gaze on me. "Miss Calahan?... Miss Calahan?... Miss Calahan!"

I looked up, finally coming out of my daze only to find the whole class looking in my direction and the Professor staring blatantly at me. I then realized that the professor had been calling out my name all the while I was lost in thought.

"Yes, Professor?" I softly answered as I lowered my gaze from embarrassment.

"Do you find my class boring?" she asked as she placed both her hands on her side and used it to push herself off the table.

"No, Professor." I answered, slightly raising my head to look at her.

"I have been trying to get your attention for the past two minutes, Miss Calahan, but you seemed rather preoccupied with whatever you were thinking about. Do you think it's more important than what I am saying right here?" she asked with a shred of anger in her tone as she took two steps forward.

"If you don't find my class worthy of your attention, you can walk out, or better still drop the class." she snarled at me before turning around.

"Turn to page 22," She walked up to the white board and wrote something before turning to the class again. "You'll see that the general molecular formulas for each homologous series differentiates each family and so their preparations are unique. Ethyne is a member of the alkyne family that..." she continued with her lectures paying me no mind again.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I thanked Jesus in my head that I didn't get into too much trouble. I shifted in my seat and placed my chin on my open palm as I tried my best to pay attention to my Professor.

I couldn't help my mind wandering. I've been trying to make an understanding of something Noah said to me, and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't decipher what his words meant.

I spent the next forty minutes doing my uttermost best to focus solely on what Professor Margaret was saying. As soon as the bell rang, my heart soared. I simply wanted to be anywhere else but school.

I took my time putting the few things of mine that were on the table into my bag because I didn't want to walk alongside the crowd of students trying to exit the hall.

As I saw the last bit of students leave, I rose up from my seat, slid my hand into my bookbag, and lowered my gaze as I tried to quietly make my way to the exit.

"Claire," I stopped in my tracks when I heard my name being called.

Turning around slowly, I looked up to find her gray eyes glaring at me as she approached me. "I thought you would be profound enough to try to clear the air before you left class today." Professor Margaret got to me with a disappointed look.