Last Year at Oak Hill.

Christian

I had the absolute worst hangover Saturday morning. We kept drinking and didn't pass out until about five in the morning. The girls passed out in Rhys's room while he offered —surprisingly—to sleep on the couch.

They were gone by the time we woke up though.

After my little whisperings of dirty nothings in Novalee's ear, she didn't dare look at me once. I occasionally shifted my attention to hers throughout the night, but she never looked back at me. I saw her cheeks flush after I sat back down in front of her.

I knew my words had an effect on her. I enjoyed it. Still, she was stubborn as fuck. I knew nothing would come out of it. And I also have no idea why I'm overthinking this situation so much. I don't know why I'm trying so hard to get this girl to actually like me.

As a friend, of course.

Maddy and Novalee were the talk of the house this morning at breakfast. Rhys falls in love with every girl he sees, Cgc has actually gotten with Maddy, and Xander finds her attractive. They asked me how I was capable of being with friends with the two prettiest girls on campus.

I'm Christian Valdez for fucks sake.

But that's where they were wrong. I was in no way friends with either of these girls. Novalee can't stand the sight of me and Maddy, I just met at the frat party last Wednesday.

Either way, the girls seemed to be having a good time with the guys and I on Friday. Cgc suggested that we all do it again and they didn't say 'no'.

I push the door open to our facility. It's eight in the morning and although we don't have morning practice, Coach Carter called me about an hour ago. He told me to 'get my ass over here' and hung up. Coach Carter is the most hard ass man I've ever met. He gets straight to the point with things, no hesitation. He does not give a fuck if he hurts your feelings.

I decided to bring my practice equipment with me and put it away since we do have practice at 6:30 later today.

I'm not kidding when I say I feel like my hearts gonna beat out of my chest.

Did I do something wrong? What if I'm not captain anymore? What if I don't start?

I force those scenarios away when I open the door to coach's office. My gaze is immediately focused on him, but then I notice a woman sitting down on the three chairs in front of his desk. "Mom?" I look at her then back at coach. What the fuck is going on?

I hadn't seen mom in.. a while. Why was she in California? "Sit down, honey." I try to read coach's expression, but like always, I can't. He's got the same, straight face like always. Mom does too, so I grow worried. Did someone die?

"What's going on?" My voice grows husky as I focus my attention on Coach Carter. He leans onto his desk, resting both arms atop of the black, wooded desk. I tap my foot against the floor impatiently. "Well," coach clears his throat and damned if I don't want to yell at him to tell me what the fuck is going on.

"Big leagues called last night and they want you ready, boy. Next year." Coach's thin lips stretch out into a small smile. Mom places her hand on my knee and shakes it a bit. I'm a bit in shock. "What? What do you mean?" I stutter a bit.

I'm pretty sure he means the NFL, but how? I try and hold in my excitement for a second. Mom and coach Carter both don't hide their expressions. "What I said! Coach Davis called me and he's very interested in you, Valdez. I know you already made up your mind about playing your senior year, but this is an amazing opportunity, son."

Coach fucking Davis? I'm ecstatic. I finally let myself feel fortunate. Proud of myself. I've been working for this my whole life. I've had no doubt in my head that I'd be doing something other than professional football after college. Waking up at the ass crack of dawn to get in extra field time with dad, eating right and gyming as much as I could, and devoting all my time to this sport.

I shake my head slightly in disbelief and when I open my mouth to speak, words can barely come out. I've forgotten the whole damn alphabet. "Fu-Damn coach, seriously?" I say and he nods in his head. "Isn't that everything you've ever wanted, baby?" Mom pulls me in and gives me a side hug.

Coach Davis is the defensive coach for the Los Angeles Rams and one of coach Carter's old teammates. I've been a fan of them ever since I moved here and they want me on their team? That's insane. It's not guaranteed, but Coach Davis says he wants me next season.

I had already decided on staying in Oak Hill my senior year to play because I wanted the four year experience. Some players declare for the draft right after junior year, which is what Coach is suggesting I do. I never thought about it. Not until now obviously.

Even if the Rams don't decide to draft me, Coach has always pushed me to declare after my junior year. He guarantees I'll be drafted. Fuck, I don't know. This is obviously an amazing opportunity, but there's a lot to think about.

My thoughts are disrupted by Coach standing up and walking over to me. I stand up as well and pulls me into a hug, patting my back aggressively. "Congrats, boy." I smile. "Thanks, Coach." He pulls away and hugs mom, who hugs me afterward.

Who fucking knew? I didn't wake up this morning thinking an NFL team was interested in me. We haven't even played any snaps this year which makes it all that more crazy. I also didn't wake up this morning thinking this was going to be my last year at Oak Hill.

This amazing news is just making me even more motivated. If this is my last year playing college ball, I'm going all out. I'm going to have the best year of my life with my boys and we're going to win that National Championship.

No way around it.

Author's note:

Don't forget to leave a vote, comment, suggestion, follow? I appreciate any type of feedback xx

This was also short, but I'm updating again in about an hour or so <3