First Step Forward.

Novalee

The middle-aged waitress sets down my food in front of me and smiles. "Happy Thanksgiving, darling," She says. I smile back at her, "Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving." I wish I was her boss right now so I could tell her to go home and enjoy time with her family. That's what I wish I could be doing. Sadly, my auditions happened to take place during this week, so I couldn't go see my mom and dad. At least I'll be able to see them on Christmas though.

After Valdez and I broke up, I just assumed I wasn't invited to his house anymore. I'm not giving out emotional support for cheaters.

My phone rings on the table just as I'm about to eat the turkey on my plate. I put down my fork and flip over my phone. It's mom. My smile grows ten times wider as I press answer on her FaceTime call. The line connects, "Happy Thanksgiving!" My whole family appears on the screen. My cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and mom and dad. I choke out a laugh and realize a tear slipping down my face. I miss them so much.

I wipe it quickly. "Happy Thanksgiving, I love you guys!" I tell them. My mom lowers the phone so that only her and my dad are visible. "Don't cry, baby," She tells me. I can't help it. My life has been so hectic. A breakup, auditions that can change my life, and studying for major exams. I haven't told mom and dad about the breakup yet and I rather not do it today either. "I'm sorry, I just miss everyone. I wish I was there with you guys." My dad disappears from the frame as my mom takes me further into the house with her.

"We miss you too, so much. How did your final audition go?" She has a huge smile on her face and it makes me smile. "Really good! I think I did good on both, todays and yesterdays, but we'll see. Final decisions aren't up to me sadly," I say. Thinking about my auditions is extra added anxiety. Even though I already finished them, now comes the waiting part. I should know in the next couple of weeks since filming starts late May.

"I'm sure you did amazing, hun. We're rooting for you," She says honestly. I love her so much. "Thank you, mom," I smile. We talk on the phone for about ten more minutes before hanging up. I realize my food is still untouched on the table. I've never spent a holiday alone and it kind of sucks. Especially Thanksgiving. Even though this diners turkey is good, homemade food is way better.

I get an email and set down my fork quickly. I know it's not about whether or not I got the part, but they told us to expect an email containing our audition tapes. I want to watch mine, so I press play on yesterdays audition first.

Avalon Davenport. She's the youngest of the three sisters that the show revolves around. She's very adventurous, crazy, and sporty. Her parents are the most protective of her because of her adventurous nature. She's been in the media since she was fifteen and it's had some effect on her. She's also very, very secretly in love with her sisters boyfriends best friend. Very confusing.

I think she's a beautiful character and watching my audition back, I actually played her scenes very well. The character I'd love to play though?

Farrah Davenport. She's the second oldest sister, behind Ember. She's very quiet, reserved, and obsessed with reading books. She's dating Killian, her boyfriend of three years. They've been best friends since they were children and decided to give dating a go, although it was never easy. Both of their parents hated their relationship. They worked for rival companies and couldn't stand the idea of their children dating.

As I watch back my audition for Farrah, I realized I did better as Avalon. I'm shocked because I match better with Farrah's character. Now I start to question myself. I don't think I'll get either parts. I drink my water quickly and then start typing in Dalton's number. "Pick up, please, please, please," I whisper to myself, so people won't think I'm crazy. The line clicks at the last ring and I breathe out, relieved.

"Tell me why I did better with my audition for Avalon instead of for Farrah!" I say into the phone. Dalton laughs. Seriously?! "I told you to audition for Avalon. I knew you'd do good," He replies. I roll my eyes, stabbing the turkey on my plate with my fork. "But why? I'm so much more of a Farrah!" He talks to someone else and I furrow my brows. "Farrah is way more quiet and reserved than you, Novalee," He says.

Before I can retort, he speaks again. "I'm already on the lookout for more auditions for you just in case these don't work out, so don't think about it too much," He lets me know. I frown. Does he think I can't get these parts? After a long time, I actually enjoy the plot line and story of this show and characters. If I don't get either of the parts, I'll be devastated. "Okay, thanks," I say. "Yeah, I have to go, but email me the videos of your auditions once you get them. I want to check them out, I'll send you feedback," He says quickly before hanging up.

Daltons a really good agent, but he's always busy. He has like a million more clients, so it's rare that we have a conversation longer than five minutes. I shove my phone into my pocket and then get up to throw away my plate. I still have to stay in L.A. for another day because we might get called back tomorrow. Maybe I'll go out tonight.

Christian

Rhys chucks a piece of turkey at Xander. "You bitch," Xander says and picks up a small piece off his plate. He throws it at him and it hits him straight in forehead. Cgc chokes on his drink, spitting it out onto the floor. I make a disgusted face and pat him on the back as he's choking on the drink and laughter. "Children! It's Thanksgiving, we're not having food fights," I tell Rhys and Xander. Rhys was about to throw another piece of turkey at him. He throws it back onto his plate instead.

Xander still laughs at his previous throw and Cgc tries to catch his breath. "Fuck you," Rhys says, flipping off my best friend. None of what we're eating is homemade because we're all ass at cooking. Cgc ordered all the food from somewhere. This is our third Thanksgiving together since we never go home. We still had practice today since we play in two days, but that was earlier.

Cgc shrugs my hand off his back. He's still mad at me but I think he's being somewhat nice to me today since it's a holiday. I continue eating the food on my plate afterward. "I can't believe there's no parties tonight," Rhys says, plopping a piece of ham into his mouth. Cgc furrows his brows at him, "What the fuck do you mean? Focus on the game on Saturday instead of parties, man," He tells him.

Rhys acts like he doesn't really care about football since he's always out, but he probably cares more than Cgc. Cgc has never wanted to go to the NFL, it's more of a hobby for him. Rhys has talked about the NFL a good amount of times, but he doesn't think he can actually get there. I think he doubts himself too much.

"I am, fucker. I just want to drink," He says. "There's beer in the fridge, I bought some earlier," Xander tells him. Rhys widens his eyes at him before getting up and walking towards the fridge. "Why didn't you tell me?" He says. "Limit yourself!" I tell him. Rhys drinks more than any of us. Mostly beer since it's favorite, but still. I'm surprised he can still feel the effects of alcohol and get as drunk as he does.

He grabs two, both for himself I'm assuming, and comes back to the table. "Sir yes sir." He winks at me and fake cheers with me, before taking a swig. "Ahhh," He exaggerates, setting the beer down on the table. "Have you talked to Maddy?" Both me and Xander look at Cgc when he says this. I assume he's talking to me, so I shake my head. "No, why? Have you?" I ask him. He shakes his head, but doesn't look at me. "I just thought she would have had a bitch fit at you by now," He tells me. Shit, me too.

Xander shakes his head. "I won't let her touch you, baby."  He winks at me. I can't help but smile. "I'll throw her on you instead, love," I say. He nods, "I'll endure any pain from that bitch for you." Cgc shakes his head. "We're eating, can you guys stop flirting?" Rhys says. I shake my head as does Xander. "Then get a fucking room. There's no space on the table for you guys to do doggy style," Cgc retorts.

"I just lost my appetite," Rhys says, setting down his fork. Xander and I just laugh. This is better than any Thanksgiving I'd spend at home.