Firsts & Lasts Always.

Christian
New Years Eve

The team and I stand in the tunnel waiting to be announced into the game. The day has finally come. We haven't played a football game in almost a month and we're back. This is the game we have to win to get where we've been wanting to go all year long.

The National Championship game.

USC is a tough team, but I think we're tougher. I think we can win this thing.

"I love you, brother." I turn my head and Cgc stands next to me, his arm wrapped around my waist. He's my best friend, my teammate, and my co-captain. We could never stay mad at each other even if we had a real reason to. "I love you, too," I tell him and I mean it. He's one of the very few people who I truly love. "We got this!" He yells over the loud crowd. The adrenaline rushes through my body. The crowd is very loud. I'm used to it already. We've been here last year. Only last year, we weren't possibly headed for the National Championship game.

"Let's do it," I tell him. The announcer announces our team and Cgc and I rush out with our team behind us. The crowd is extra loud once we step out onto the actual field. I hug Rhys, Max, DJ, all my boys. "Hey!" I turn at Xander's voice. He runs up to me and hits his helmet against mine. "I love you, stud," He tells me. I smile because fuck, I love him too. More than he even knows. "I love you more, baby," I smirk. He hits his helmet against mine again and then runs off finding Cgc.

Coach Smith approaches me, "Can you hear me?" He asks. I take a couple of steps back away from him and point to my ear. He covers his mouth, "You hear me, Valdez?" His voice fills my ear through the ear piece I wear. I give him a thumbs up. "Got you, Coach." He nods his head at me before shifting his attention to DJ. Special teams heads out towards the field for kickoff.

It's now or never.

+

Cgc throws his helmet on the floor. I don't fucking blame him. Offense is doing terrible. Defense has been carrying this game on our backs. I caught two picks already. I'm shocking myself honestly. I thought their offense was going to be harder to cover, but they're playing like shit. From the two picks I've caught, none of them have been touchdowns. After giving the ball back to the offense twice, they haven't done anything with the opportunity.

The score right now at halftime is 0-7. We're losing.

I sit down in the locker, catching my breath. I'm as pissed as everyone else. Coach Carter has yet to enter the locker room but I'm sure he's going to rip our assholes a new one once he's in here. "The games not fucking over yet! Stop moping around like little bitches," I yell. I get up from the locker and lean against it instead. None of my teammates say anything back, but no one's said anything since we stepped inside.

I close my eyes, but it's interrupted by the door slamming. That's Coach. Here we go.

+

I get up from the bench as the offense comes back out onto the sideline. My best friend gets congratulated by a couple of guys and coaches on his way over to me. I smack his helmet and pull him in for a hug. "Fuck yeah," I say. He pulls off his helmet and laughs, "I'm fucking exhausted." He groans, sitting down on the metal bench. Xander just scored a touchdown.

The score is 7-14. We're in the lead for the first time tonight.

"I'll see you in a bit," I smack his chest and then rush over to the sideline, preparing to go in. Once the special teams runs off the field, we run on. The guys huddle around me as USC's offense does the same. "Marshall stay the fuck on number 83, we can't let these guys score again, alright? Offense is already struggling as it is. Don't run a blitz yet either." The guys nod and we clap once before getting into position.