epiphany

[ family au ]
[ brett x eddy ]
[ aaron and chloe are breddy's children in the story ]

After the long gathering, both Aaron and Chloe are showered, and are sent to their rooms, ready to sleep. Albeit the night is drawing closer, both children are not sleepy at all for some reason. Instead, they are playing with their legos because they are not allowed to play their violins at night.

"Okay kids five minutes later then go to sleep!" said Brett. "You have practice sessions tomorrow!"

"Okay, papa!" said Chloe. "But Aaron and I are attacking the bad bad alien, because he is trying to attack Aaron and Di!" (for context, Di is Chloe's favourite mice plushie)

"Five minutes then go to bed." said Brett as he closed the door behind them.

Meanwhile, Eddy is already in bed, reading a book when Brett joined him, holding a cup of chamoile tea.

"Have they slept yet?" asked Eddy.

"No, they haven't." answered Brett. "In fact they are having fun with their Legos and fighting with their 'bad alien'."

"They are literally Duracell bunnies, aren't they?" asked Eddy. "They are still up at this hour and are so energetic. But look at us, we're so out of stamina and we're already so tired."

Brett nodded and led out a deep breath.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just, time seems to pass very fast." said Brett. "I never knew it has already been five years since Aaron was at my doorstep. And then, I took care of him and raised him to be a lovely little boy. And not afterlong, poof, we have Chloe. You know, somehow watching at them makes me feel really old."

"But you're doing a good job as a dad so far." smiled Eddy, reassuring him.

"I know, but then I feel like we're aging as well. I don't want them to grow up that fast. I also can't bear to count down how many years, or days had left before I shut my eyes eternally. I don't want to die this early, and neither do I want my children to grow that fast."

Eddy smiled. He knew his husband always overthink things and the worst case scenarios in almost everything. He snaked his arms around Brett's small waist and left a peck behind his neck.

"Brett, we know that aging, growing up and death are all inevitable parts of our lives, and no one can escape from it, unless you're an immortal. But then, we could still be able to live our lives to the fullest by seizing what's in front of us and what lies ahead of us right now, grasp every opportunity and treasure every moment as if you're living your last. Don't worry, Brett. We still have a lot of years to come before we go to Heaven, and I'm sure both children will grow healthy and happy under your nurture and care, as you're the best father and best husband anyone could ask for." said Eddy, caressing his cheek.

Brett smiled at his compliment. "Thanks, Eddy. You're a wonderful father as well. I could already see a bright future ahead for both of the kids, and we would not have done it without each other. I will not have what I have right now without you."

Brett was snuggling into Eddy's chest by then.

"And no matter what, I'll always be by your side until death do us apart, I promise. We should cherish every moment together, and I'm really lucky and honoured to spend every ticking second with you, and not to mention our children. We will face everything as a family, Brett. Remember, you are not alone in this." said Eddy.

"I love you." muttered Brett.

"And I love you too." said Eddy, and proceeds to close the gap between them by smashing his lips onto his, passionately and gently.

The two then spent the time in bed together, cuddling, while immersing themselves into each other's presence without even an ounce of awkwardness.

As Brett was about to fall asleep in Eddy's warm embrace, the door suddenly barged open, and there stood the children. Eddy smiled to himself. Luckily, I did attempt to hold in my sexual temptations.

"Daddy! Can we sleep with you tonight?" asked Chloe happily, holding Di close to her chest.

"Yeah! The bad alien attacked Chloe's bed and Chloe is scared." said Aaron, putting an arm around her.

"The bad alien is a bad bean. He wanted to attack me, and Di, saying that we should not play the violin because that's the only instrument losers play." said Chloe, as she was about to cry.

"Aww, don't cry baby." said Eddy, hugging their daughter. "That's just a nightmare! Daddy and I will attack the bad alien tomorrow and makes sure it won't be able to see tomorrow. Violins dominate the world! Don't let the bad alien talk trash unless if he wants some roast."

"Hooray!" said Chloe with Aaron chuckling next to Eddy's wacky joke.

"So can we sleep here?" asked Aaron.

As much as Brett wanted to spend the night cuddling with his husband, or to do something even deeper than that, he knew he couldn't disappoint the children. Also, he remembered what Eddy told him earlier, to cherish every moment with people he loved. It was a rare family moment and a good one to seize down.

If he let this chance slip away, then he would have very very much less moments like these, since he knew that his children would most of the time, sleep very early, or if not, sleep on their own.

"Sure, come here." said Brett, while both children cheered and immediately bounced on their bed, with Aaron already hugging Eddy tight.

"Alright, now go to sleep, or else the bad alien is going to attack Daddy and Papa's bed next." said Eddy. "But goodnight, babies."

"Goodnight Daddy, goodnight papa." said both children in unison as Chloe drifted off to sleep shortly after.

Not after long, both children are already sound asleep next to their fathers, Chloe next to Brett and Aaron next to Eddy. Eddy looked up to Brett's fatherly figure of stroking their beloved daughter sleeping and smiled.

"I enjoyed this bubble of peace so much, watching them sleep under the love and care of a loving father." said Eddy, gently stroking Aaron's hair.

"So do I." said Brett. "You're also a loving father. And I love you for that."

Eddy smiled as he placed a soft and gentle kiss on the corner of Brett's lips.

"Goodnight, my love." said Eddy as he went to sleep as well, while bringing Brett close to his chest.

"Night," mumbled Brett, but as soon as Brett said that, Eddy was instantly asleep and snores are evidently heard from him. He must be very tired after a long, hectic day of filming, gatherings and practicing.

Brett looked down at the people he loved and cherished so much. Eddy. Aaron. Chloe. He had never felt so happy before in his life, seeing them together. They had truly brought a lot of joy into his life. Life would never be the same without them.

Initially, he was scared of death and the passage of time. However, he eventually found a sense of epiphany, and finally closed his eyes, with a smile forming on his face as he drifts off to sleep, knowing that he would still have his cherished ones rooting for him in the years to come.

That night, he did not have a nightmare of him dying and aging. Instead Brett dreamt of himself, Eddy and his children happily riding on a unicorn, catching after music notes in the sky.