animal crossing

[ // au ]
[ brett x eddy ]
[ inspired by the track animal crossing - 7pm new leaf ]
[ tw: major character death ]

It was 7pm at night, when people start leaving the bustling city from their work and head to their homes.

The time when people longed for the moment where they could finally reunite with their loved ones or to rest in their arms, telling them how their days went while resting comfily at their respective homes, surrounding their tables with rice and meat in their mouths.

When people could leave work behind and to inhale an ounce of fresh air to relax themselves, and spare some time for some self care and meditation.
It's supposed to be a time for one's mind to relax and think of the ones who had supported them all along, showing them support and offering them love, the reason why they can still pull through the obstacles of life and lemons life gave them. It's also that period of time where people look most forward to.

But not for Eddy.

"Door open," read the electronic door lock when Eddy came home to the lonely apartment where he and the love of his life used to live.

"Good evening buddy, it's just us again." muttered Eddy softly as he closed the door, taking off his shoes.

"Door closed." read the electronic door lock again.
Ever since Brett had left the house, it was just Eddy himself and this electronic door lock.

Overwhelmed by the amount of workload he had at work today, he decided to rest and play some video games to relax. He then took the Nintendo Switch near the television, which is the first thing that caught his eye. He then proceeded to play Animal Crossing - the game which used to be Brett and his favourite.

"Hello, Brett!" said Isabelle when the game started. Eddy was shocked to know that the account saved in the game is Brett's, but not his. Neither he quitted the game, nor did he immediately put down the game console. Instead, he stopped, and to slowly realise that tears had been forming in his eyes, threatening to fall any moment.

[ Flashback 1 ]
"Nah, not that peach, but I want that pear!"
mumbled Brett, cuddled up against Eddy's chest.

"Yeah, I got it. Who should I give it to next? Cyrus or Isabelle?" asked Eddy.

"Of course Isabelle! She's literally my favourite and the cutest." said Brett. "If Isabelle plays the violin, then I'd definitely adopt her as my pet."

"I mean, there's one which plays the violin, right? Which animal is that?"

[ end of flashback 1 ]

Eddy closed his eyes from this mesmerising yet excruciating memory of Brett and himself. Memories of Brett and himself kept flowing into his mind like a tidal wave, making him wince through the psychological pain.

[ Flashback 2 ]
"I love you so much, Eddy." said Brett. "Thank you for everything. You made me the happiest man alive."

"No, thank you for everything. You literally made my life thousand times better." he replied. "You are the reason why I'm smiling and pulling through life, you know?"

"I will miss the times when we play Animal Crossing together after practice, and to ramble about the different villagers in the game, the times when we filmed videos, roasted characters in the movie who don't know how to play the violin, going on tours, and the practice sessions..."

Eddy tried his best to hold in his tears. He knew that it was time for Brett to depart from the world but to travel to an alternative universe where he would go there as well, but later. Brett once again winced in pain but closed his eyes gently, tears still flowing from his eyes.

You don't want to leave as well, do you? Why can't you stay?

But Eddy knew that it was time. He can't bear to see Brett in pain and living through pain. Saying goodbye seemed to be the best solution for now, but Eddy's heart was too heavy to do so. He sucked at letting go. However, for Brett, for the good for Brett himself, he had no other choice but to say goodbye to his best friend, his love of his life and his other half.

"Fly high, angel. I know it's your time." said Eddy, as he slowly brought the boy close to his chest, stroking his head tenderly and lovingly. "I will be here until your very last breath and heartbeat, and I will love you forever. It's okay, Brett. You...you can go. I will stay here until you're sleeping. I'm here."

"Yeah, and that's all I need to know, since I know you'll keep me safe and close." murmured Brett.

Eddy smiled through tears.

"You know how people said 'It's never a goodbye but a see you soon?' I'm feeling exactly like this now. We will meet again, one day." said Brett. "And I will be waiting for you till we meet again. Don't know when, and where. But we will see each other soon. And please, remember Eddy, I love you so much."

Eddy smiled through the pain as he tearfully kissed his forehead, too painful to say a word. "I had never stopped loving you, Brett, and I know that I never will."

"I'll see you in the rainbow bridge, Eddy." said Brett as he said his final words and closed his eyes, forever, his hand that squeezed his lover's slowly weakened and slide away from Eddy's hands, leaving behind a confused, depressed and hurt Eddy.

[ end of flashback 2 ]

Eddy moved the mascot of Brett's figure in the game to his own cottage, and made it sit down, looking at the starry sky.

He did the same, slowly dragging himself from the sofa, and towards the patio where he sat down, with the game console still in his hand.

"Hey Brett, what's up? It's Eddy again. How are you doing up there in heaven? I'm at home right now, playing Animal Crossing like we used to, but this time, alone. Do you still remember the times when you are cuddled up against my chest when we play this game together? And I still remember, how you would fall asleep on my chest sometimes. But I like it. But, damn, it's so painful to endure this kind of pain all alone. I miss your voice, I miss how you would talk about Isabelle, and I miss how you would cuddle up against me when we play Animal Crossing together. Sometimes, it really hurts to know that the person whom you really love is no longer by your side, and it hurts like shit, damn it," he said as he wiped his tears that formed in his eyes.

"But don't worry, Brett. I will definitely live my best life out there. I would not give up just because of you, and I promise I will live my life to the fullest, as I know that you are still with me spiritually, giving me unconditional love and support like always. I believe we will meet again, don't know when, don't know where, but definitely we will meet one fine day. Wait for me, love. We will see each other soon. I love you."

It was at the same moment, Isabelle, Brett's favourite mascot came over and put a shoulder on the mascot representing Brett, and they sat down on the plush grass, inseparable, looking at the starry sky together under the pear tree, which used to be Brett's favourite tree. Eddy smiled.

"You must be watching over me, how cute." said Eddy. "And now I'm missing you, but we will see each other very soon. I'll go practice now, Brett." He smiled and wiped a stray tear on the corner of his eye, and headed to the place where his stand and his violin is located, leaving behind the Nintendo switch, with the same display all along.

And it stayed the duration Eddy practiced the violin. Yes. It is on for 40 hours.

Hello Eddy, yes I saw you. And I miss you too, Eddy. So much. I'm sorry that I left early and am not able to stay with you till the end like you did. But it's alright. You're doing a good job so far. Continue to shine bright and rock the world. I'll be watching over you for now. Hang in there. We'll meet each other soon. Later.