Chapter 8: Three Girls, a Cat, and a Birthday

Marinette looked at the manor before her, after hearing about Jon's success with Adrien the previous day she felt a strange sense of calm come over her. Her hand hovered over the door which swung open making her jump out of the way to avoid getting hit.

"Oh my god, did I hit you? I'm so sorry!" One of the black haired boys said and Marinette raked her brain for the name, this wasn't Damian or Jason, he looked older than Jason, what was the eldest's name again.

"Really Grayson?" a voice rang out from behind the man.

"Grayson..." Marinette whispered to herself trying to figure it out. Right, Dick that was his name.

"She looks fine," Damian said starting to walk down the driveway.

"Oh hey Damian," Marinette said suddenly finding the ground very interesting. "Uh Jason told me it was your birthday today so I got a little something together for you," Marinette said and Damian's eyes flashed with hurt and annoyance before neutrality.

"Ok then can we make this quick," Damian said getting into the driver's seat of his car. Dick shot Marinette a worried look.

"Listen he's just a bit hurt he'll tell you if he thinks it's worth it but just be careful and tread lightly around him right now," Dick said placing a hand on Marinette's shoulder and a wave of guilt shot through Marinette's spine making her shudder.

"Yeah, I'll be careful." Marinette opened the passenger seat of the car and looked at her lap hands folded carefully.

"Where are we going?" Damian said putting the car in drive stopping at the front gate before turning left in the direction of the city.

"Could I put the address in?" Marinette asked and Damian gave a curt nod focusing on the road as Marinette typed the address she forced herself to memorize seeing as she couldn't pull out Jon's phone in front of his ex boyfriend... oh, was that why Damian was so upset? "I know that you don't know me very well but do you mind me asking why you're so upset?" Marinette asked trying to get Damian to open up to her but his face just hardened. "I'll take that as a no," Marinette said looking out the window.

"Why do you care so much?" Damian asked hands tightening on the wheel.

"I care because you're a person and as much as you're trying to convince me right now that you're ok you're not and I can see that. I'm not trying to use you or anything, I just want to be here for you cause that's what friends are for," Marinette said inwardly cringing at the fact that she had just friendzoned herself.

"Jon, he was my boyfriend and I guess I was too clingy cause he broke up with me over text in another country, I'm not upset or hurt or anything like that I've just never been confused like this before. I should be upset but I'm not and that's what's confusing me, he's my best friend and I thought I had feelings for him I liked the fact that I could finally hug or kiss someone and he was my balance, now I just feel nothing. He's still my best friend and I don't think anything will change how we feel about each other it's just weird," Damian said keeping his eyes on the road taking turns with paper white knuckles.

"I get that, my boyfriend back in Paris fell in love with one part of me, not the whole but I know that we'll still be friends I can't imagine my life without him," Marinette said looking at Damian who's eyes softened slightly as they pulled up to an unregistered building. "I'll be back," Marinette said running inside. There was a small white cat with a collar on it the name area was blank. The cat's blue eyes peered into her soul as it licked its paw. The cat stood up and shook itself out before walking over to her and pawing at her legs ready to be picked up and given to the teen in the car. Marinette scooped it up in her arms and saw a girl with dark skin enter the building with another girl with red hair and freckles.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing, that cat is a present for our friend!" the first girl yelled and the second glared at her.

"You guys know Jon Kent?" Marinette asked and the girls stopped for a second looking at each other.

"Yeah, we're his friends Kathy and Maya, what's it to you?" Kathy asked arms crossed.

"Jon broke up with Damian and now I'm supposed to give him this cat listen it's a long story I'll just call him," Marinette said reaching in her purse to grab Jon's phone and the girl's eyes widened when they saw it.

"That's Jon's phone, get her!" Maya said to Kathy pointing at Marinette. Kathy's eyes glowed purple as she lifted the girl in the air. Maya ran out of the building and Marinette's eyes widened in panic.

"It's strange that you would know all of this stuff about dear old Jonny but that doesn't put you in the clear, why do you have his phone?" Kathy asked eyes narrowing. "You can either tell me the easy way or I'll search your brain for it," Kathy added and Marinette put her hands up in a sign of surrender.

Damian heard a bang from the building Marinette had just gone into and got out of his car walking toward the entrance only to see Maya come out bumping into him.

"What are you doing here?" they asked each other.

"I was leaving to call you," Maya said turning around to walk back in.

"I heard a bang I wanted to make sure Marinette was ok," Damian said and Maya's face twisted.

"You care about that girl, she has Jon's phone she could have done something to him," Maya said and Damian's eyes widened.

"She has what?" Damian asked.

"Listen Jon and I bumped into each other at the airport and we switched phones that's all that happened, Jon asked me to give Damian the cat he got him and to say it was from me cause he felt bad about breaking up with him," Marinette said and Kathy dropped Marinette turning around to see Damian and Maya standing behind Marinette's now dropped body.

"Oh hey Dami, didn't know you were here," Kathy said running over to the confused brooding boy.

"So Jon set this up?" Damian asked ignoring his friend's obnoxious hometown pal.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't tell you Damian," Marinette said looking at the ground, as the cat's head maneuvered its way under her hand keening at the attention.

"Let's just go back to the manor," Damian said turning around and walking out ignoring the three girls and cat.

Maya and Kathy watched as Marinette stood up picking up the cat. The girls looked on uncomfortably as she left hearing the car door close and engine rev up speeding down the street.

"We fucked up," Maya said to Kathy who nodded.

"Jonno's going to kill us."