Chapter 1

"These children are blind," the female shadow whispered as she watched a teen play a video game. "They don't understand how their virtual counter parts feel about their endless life of constant death."

"What do you plan to do about it?" The male shadow asked.

The woman grinned and waved her hand at the gaming device in the teen's hands. "I'm going to play a game."

----------------------------------------------

Kaleb couldn't believe his luck. Another match of gun game lost because three players were running around humiliating everyone. He sighed, backed out of the lobby, and opened up the Create A Soldier menu. His avatar stood proudly holding his silenced Honey Badger like it was his child. His avatar was an Asian man wearing a large helmet on his head, a blue camoflauge jumpsuit under a bullet proof vest, elbow pads, knee pads, shin plates, and heavy black boots. Kaleb scolled through all of his custom classes before he noticed the strange look on his avatar's face. The character on screen seemed to be staring at Kaleb, confusion in his eyes as he looked Kaleb up and down.

"Are you my master?" The characterr asked with a heavy Asian accent.

Kaleb jumped and dropped his controller. He sat there for a moment, trying to comprehend what happened before he asked, "Are you talking to me?"

The character nodded. "Yes and you are definitely too young to be my superior."

"What?" Kaleb touched the screen and the television exploded. Kaleb fell onto his back and coughed as smoke filled his room, A rough hand grabbed Kaleb's shoulder and lifted him up before he could feel the long fall that followed the sound of shattered glass. When he opened his eyes, he saw his character staring up at his bedroom window from the driveway, as real as life itself.

"It looks like we will have to wait out here until the smoke clears," the soldier said.

"Who are you?" Kaleb asked as he stood up.

"You labeled my dog tag Kaleb but I wish to be called Yamato."

"Yamato?"

"Not Yamato like some sloppy mud! Ya-ma-to! Just like the mighty battleship!"

"Yamato," Kaleb repeated slowly and accurately.

"Better." The soldier swung his Honey Badger around. "Now we must prepare. Your life is in danger."

Kaleb frowned. "Danger? Why would I be in danger?"

Yamato raised his rifle and pointed it down the street, behind Kaleb. "Don't move," he shouted.

Kaleb turned around to see a young girl, about Kaleb's age, standing in Yamato's line of fire. Beside her was a tall woman in armor that resembled the Master Chief from Halo. In the Spartan's hands was a DMR, leveled at Yamato's head. The Spartan's armor had it's primary color pink and secondary color dark blue.

"What's going on?" Kaleb asked.

"You shoot her and I'll personally send you to Hell," the Spartan threatened.

"Kayla, stop," the young girl said to the Spartan.

"Yamato, you can't go around pointing guns at people." Kaleb forced the rifle down. "Let's let them be."

Both soldiers lowered their rifles but kept their attention on each other. The girl turned to Kaleb and sighed.

"Sorry about that," the girl apologized.

"No," Kaleb sighed. "Yamato threatened you first. I should be the one apologizing."

Yamato mumbled something in Japanese and Kayla clenched a fist. "You wanna say that again?"