Chapter 8

Yamato sighed and turned right. The motorcycle leaned and Yamato parked in the mall parking lot. He took off his helmet and hopped off of the bike. Kayla placed her helmet on the back seat and slid off the motorcycle, staring at it questioningly.

"Did you get this motorcylce with Kaleb's money?" Kayla asked.

"No," Yamato said as he stuffed the keys into his pocket. "I found it in a junkyard and took it. The keys were in the ignition."

"Oh." Kayla looked at the bike one more time. "Okay."

Yamato led Kayla up to the food court and sat down at a small table. "What would you like to eat?"

Kayla looked around. "How about pizza?"

"Pizza?"

"Yeah. I've always wanted to try pizza." After a few minutes, Yamato came back with two slices of pizza. Kayla took a bite and smiled. "It's better than I expected."

"That is good." Yamato took a bite but his empty eyes didn't change. "I thought you would like it."

Kayla looked into his eyes. "What's wrong? You've been this way since the last fight."

Yamato lowered his eyes. "When the ship comes, it will choose which one of us as the fan favorite and kill the rest." He placed his face down on the table and sighed. "I do not want to be chosen but I also do not want to see anyone else die." He shook his head and sat up. "I feel like there is only one solution but someone has to die no matter what I think of."

Kayla placed her hand on his. "If I have learned anything, it's that you can't save anyone. I watched my teammates die on Reach, including the civilians living there. I let the survivors escape while I fought for my life on Reach, alone. You might not be able to save everyone, but you can definitely save a lot of people."

Yamato looked up and revealed the tears rolling down his eyes. "I just can't leave you..."

Kayla ran around the table and hugged him. He quietly cried into her shoulder and she gently patted his back. "It's alright. It's alright."

That's what she said, but she knew it wasn't going to be. In several days, the ship would arrive, and only one of them would still be alive to watch everyone else die.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three days passed like lightning. Now, the five servants stood in the local park, waiting in their battlegear. Elizabeth held her Claymore nervously, Nathan held his hunting rifle, Kayla held her DMR, Yamato held his Remington, and Crona held her bow.

"So," Nathan said as he looked up into the sky, "this is it, huh?"

"Yeah," Kayla said sadly. "Looks like we'll see who they wanted."

Yamato nodded silently and tightened his grip on the Remington assault rifle.

"Do you think we can fight this thing?" Crona asked as she scanned the horizon.

"I don't know," Elizabeth sighed. "To be honest, I think we're fighting for a pointless cause."

A loud whirring vibrated the air and a large ship materialized in the air. A light from the front of the ship shot down in front of them and an adult man appeared as a hologram in front of them. "Warriors, your fight started off with an amazing all out attack on Bravo and ended with the defeat of our host. Our audience thought of this war as amazing and heartbreaking. Who would've thought some of you would find love?" Yamato pulled out a small device and tapped the screen before running away. Before anyone could stop him, he jumped onto a helicopter and flew up toward the ship. "Oh boy, looks like we have trouble. The winner was Kayla. Our fans loved your strength and ability to care for others. It's such a shame we don't appreciate Yamato as much."

Kayla activated her jet pack and flew up to Yamato's helicopter and tossed a plasma grenade at the hull of the ship. The side of the ship exploded and the two soldiers jumped inside. Hundreds of guards started making their way to fight the warriors but with every guard that appeared, two were gunned down. Yamato tossed a mag at a guard's head and reloaded to continue his killing spree. Kayla tossed a couple frags before scoring headshots with her DMR. In two minutes, all the guards were gone and drones started to make their way in. Each drone fired a plasma beams that scorched whatever surface it touched. All of them targeted Yamato and he struggled to keep dodging the rays of light.

"Kayla, last mag!" Yamato shouted as he reloaded his gun.

"Just last a few minutes."

A ray flew past Kayla and struck Yamato in the chest. As she looked back, she saw him fall on his back and lay at the edge of the breach. Kayla rushed back and lifted his head.

"Kayla... get off of this ship," Yamato grunted.

"Not without you," Kayla said. "We can get out of here."

"I'll be fine! Just go!"

"Yamato, I'm not leaving y-"

Yamato grabbed her shoulder pad and threw her out of the ship. As Kayla fell, she saw Yamato tap his little device one last time and the ship exploded in a blinding flash of light. Kayla hit the earth and looked up in the sky with hope. At first, she only saw Yamato falling, then she saw the ship still floating in the air. Kayla rushed to catch Yamato but when he landed in her arms, he exploded into pixels.

She dropped to her knees and looked at her hands. "I don't understand... he had one more life..."

"He did have one more life," the hologram said with an evil grin. "We just had to kill him twice. The K.E.M. Strike killed him once, our drones just finished him off."

"You bastard!" Kayla shouted as she stood up and faced the hologram. "I'll tear you apart!"

"How? All of your friends are dead now, our ship is flying away, and we won't be back until next year." The hologram started to circle Kayla. "The next war resumes exactly one year from now. It'll be a fifteen day war. One warrior from this war will be revived by the votes of our fans, and the victor of that war gets to earn mortality with you."

"Who looks like they'll be revived? Tell me."

The hologram put a finger to his lip. "That's for me to know and you to find out."

The hologram disappeared and Kayla screamed into the sky.