Chapter 5

Yamato threw down several I.E.D.s carefully around the house before he joined Kayla on the roof. She seemed tense and tired.

"What is wrong?" Yamato asked.

"I-I thought you were... dead." She took off her helmet and held it in her hands. I thought I- WE lost you."

Yamato turned away. "I did die."

"I know, but... your energy..."

Yamato played with the safety on his sniper rifle, feeling as though the conversation would somehow add up to something. "I gave up. I came back when I found out the consequences of my death."

Kayla's voice began to quiver. "Y-you wanted to die?"

Yamato stared out over the horizon. "I saw no point in fighting. I have no one and nothing to fight for. I only fight if I have a reason. The wish at the end of the war is not a good enough reason."

Kayla placed a hand on his shoulder. "Then... fight for me..."

Yamato looked at her with confusion and saw something in her eyes that he couldn't comprehend. Care? Passion? Sorrow? "What are you trying to tell me?"

Kayla's cheeks burned bright red. She wrapped her arms around Yamato and held onto him tightly. "They say you never know what you have until it's gone. I like you, Yamato. Please don't leave me."

For a moment, Yamato didn't move, didn't think, didn't breathe. Then, realization of the situation hit him and he felt his chest tighten up. "You... like me?"

Yamato felt cold liquid drops hit his neck and travel down. "Yes..." Kayla kept a hold of him but gave him enough slack so he could see her face. Tears rolled down her face as she looked up at him. "I like you."

Before Yamato could say anything, Kayla hugged him again as she cried silently into his chest. His body froze like a statue for a moment, almost as if he was nervous. He sighed and returned the hug, letting her cry while she had the chance.

"Please don't leave me," Kayla whispered.

"I won't," Yamato promised. "I won't."

———————————————————————————————————————————

Elizabeth woke to a gloved hand falling over her mouth. When she opened her eyes, the tip of a blue blade was hovering just over her throat. To her right was the face of a soldier with an evil glare.

"Say a word and your master dies without you," he whispered. Elizabeth nodded slowly and unbuckled her seatbelt. The soldier pulled her out quietly and pulled her behind the brush. Once there, he threw her on the ground. "I'm Bravo. You're going to help me defeat the other servants."