Stone of Change

Adeline wasn't just any student, she was a gifted and bright young elfling and she knew exactly what he wanted as he forced her towards the mirror. She'd heard the stories of the Philosophers Stone, though she had her doubts the headmaster would really hide it in a school full of children. She was doubting, up until the moment the Dark Lord stood her before the Mirror of Erised. Of course, just handing the stone to the Darkest Lord they've had in a long time wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, she was fully aware of this. But then there was also the chance, Adeline mused to herself, that the stone would restore some of the damage he did to his soul. Make him more... human.

Heterochromatic eyes peered at Voldemort's reflection in the mirror, and she barely witheld a grimace at the vile glare that sneered down at her with an expectant red glow, almost eager. Eager to see her fail, so he could unleash his wrath upon her small form. Even the smallest hint of humanity added to that body writhing in darkness would be an improvement. It was a huge risk, an incredibly stupid one too, but she felt she had to take it. Perhaps the Dark Lord was beyond salvation, but that didn't mean that she couldn't at least try. Because from where she is standing, from the stories she's heard in Hogwarts and the derision on the Headmaster's face at anything related to Voldemort, she realised no one had ever even tried  to see the Dark Lord as more than fear and wrath. No one had seen fit to treat him like a human despite his demeanor, and somewhere in her fear stricken heart she could feel a deep, endless pit of sadness bubble to life as she imagined a young Voldemort, shunned and feared and (indirectly) forced to become the creature he was today.

She took a deep breath to steady herself, then shifted her gaze to peer at her own reflection. A version of herself with a cheeky grin winked back at her, twirling a small stone in her hand before stuffing it in her pocket with a tilt of her head. Adeline allowed herself a moment to mourn the loss of choosing the path of misdirection, of choosing not to give this creature the stone, before she closed that train of thought off and reached down in her pocket. ''May your return hallow the start of a new era, my Lord.'' She murmured as she plucked the stone from her pocket, forcing a reverent smile on plump lips as she turned towards the leeching form of Voldemort on the back of her Professors' head, bowing her head down submissively as she presented him with the stone. ''Yessss, little elfling. You have proven your worth to me.'' The Dark Lord sounded near ecstasy as he spoke, the hissing lilt of his words nearly slipping into parseltongue as his excitement grew. He very nearly snatched the stone from her hand, barely restraining his glee as he examined it up close to his face. ''You shall ssssserve me well.'' The words barely had a moment to register in her mind, before she felt the heavy pull of a sleeping charm dragging her down. Her own magic flared up in her defense, allowing her just enough time to turn her head and see the wicked smile on Voldemort's lipless face before darkness consumed her.